These are chat archives for AvaloniaUI/Avalonia

3rd
May 2016
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 00:07
you mean #525 ?
i suspect that this may prevent valid use-cases, but i need to try to think of one
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 02:06
ok, i don't think it will prevent valid use-cases but i'm still worried about the overhead it could introduce...
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 02:11
just had a thought: i wonder if we could build the list of data templates that are in use as they're being materialized?
so the list would only exist for as long as templates were being materialized (as that's when a stack overflow can occur)
rather than the information being stored permanently in the tree
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 02:30
@QuantumDeveloper ok, i've got some feedback on our Grid problem and it seems its a grey area, however I've been advised that you probably can't work on Grid without legal worries after you've submitted copyrighted code :(
so our best plan might be to use the grid thingy from xamarin forms if it can do most things that Grid does
Darnell WIlliams
@ImaBrokeDude_twitter
May 03 2016 02:47
Whoa the gitter update....
@grokys the ContentTemplate allows me to dynamically change the layout engine being used on child objects
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 04:07
the layout engine?
do you just mean it allows you to change the data template?
ContentTemplate has nothing to do with layout
Jeremy Koritzinsky
@jkoritzinsky
May 03 2016 05:50
@grokys I like that idea, but I'm not quite sure if it'll work. I'll mess around with it. I'll also take a look at the comments you made on the pr.
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 05:55
@jkoritzinsky i also added a new comment to the property validation PR
apologies if this is turning out to be a drawn-out process, but i'd like to get it as right as possible
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
May 03 2016 08:24
@grokys thanks for the merge!
Darnell WIlliams
@ImaBrokeDude_twitter
May 03 2016 10:04
@grokys I say that because the layout used in the control is a bindable property and object, it needs to be above the data-template level of the items, remember when I showed you the organizers?
Wiesław Šoltés
@wieslawsoltes
May 03 2016 13:21
@grokys I have found some issues with memory usage when I am using ImmutableArray bound to ItemsControl.Items, created reproduction code here https://github.com/wieslawsoltes/Perspex/tree/ImmutableArrayItemsMemoryUsageIssue
To reproduce issue run BindingTest sample app, go to Items tab and hit few times the + button.
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 16:35
@QuantumDeveloper we may have another lead... Stay tuned...
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
May 03 2016 16:49
@grokys does this mean we might be getting faster grid?
Steven Kirk
@grokys
May 03 2016 16:55
Who knows, it's just a possible lead right now, probably won't come to anything...