These are chat archives for AvaloniaUI/Avalonia

Aug 2016
Tim Boyle
@Timboski
Aug 17 2016 14:28
Hi Guys. I managed to disable items in a TabControl by splitting it into TabStrip and Carousel (as issue #536 suggests).
Simple example posted here (for other newbs) as some of the details took a bit of trial and error!
<Window xmlns="https://github.com/avaloniaui" MinWidth="500" MinHeight="200">
  </Grid>
</Window>
Steven Kirk
@grokys
Aug 17 2016 15:03
@Timboski welcome!
and great! yeah i'm sorry that it's so difficult to do at the moment
could you post your example as a comment on the issue? the more info we have in there the better
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
Aug 17 2016 15:05
@grokys hey dude, lots of new people in here its good! :)
erm appveyor build has not been passing for a while now, looks like Cairo render tests,
Steven Kirk
@grokys
Aug 17 2016 15:06
yeah, it's great!
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
Aug 17 2016 15:08
I was thinking, if I had unlimited time, I would create some youtube tutorials for getting started with avalonia
we will see if I get chance
Steven Kirk
@grokys
Aug 17 2016 15:09
even a blog post would be really useful!
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 16:33
Hey guys, how is the Skia work going? I got something here for a specific customer that dont want use html on the device apps but XAML and .net and I wonder if it woth try again for this case use avalonia
James Walmsley
@jameswalmsley
Aug 17 2016 17:28
@galvesribeiro I got Skia on linux working now, but I need to clean up and refactor it into the codebase nicely and make a clean build process.
As for the status of entire Skia working in general, I can't tell you exactly.
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 17:29
@jameswalmsley that is good
we have 2 requirements only
  1. be able to make Skia to use a Framebuffer (there is an override on SkSurface from SkiaSharp that takes a byte[]/IntPtr and work for that)
  2. dont depend on X11/GTK or any kind of Window System
James Walmsley
@jameswalmsley
Aug 17 2016 17:31
I'm an embedded linux guy, and from what I have seen on the backend you should be able to do that...
Might need a bit of work, but I'd be interested in getting that going on one of my projects too.
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 17:31
in Chrome code, Google and Intel introduced something called "Ozone layer" which is basically a bunch of interfaces that you have to implement for you device
the last time I got into avalonia code, there is a Platform thing that you implement to define the backend
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 17:47
@jameswalmsley do you have an ETA when you plan to have something usable on linux?
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
Aug 17 2016 18:01
@galvesribeiro from what you had running before how was the performance?
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 18:19
I havn't reach a full test @danwalmsley
I only tested Skia on the device and it was A LOT faster than Cairo (we used to use for rendering)
I wasn't able to put together a test sample on Avalonia
to get that I had to fully understand how to build the platform support stuff on Avalonia
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
Aug 17 2016 19:23
ah ok were you running Linux or Android?
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 19:31
@danwalmsley ARM v6l Linux
danwalmsley
@danwalmsley
Aug 17 2016 19:32
ok
James Walmsley
@jameswalmsley
Aug 17 2016 19:53
@galvesribeiro I can get the Linux GTK done pretty soon, hopefully over the next week. But in terms of looking at framebuffer stuff, I would have to setup one of my embedded boards and start experimenting. I probably won't find the time in the next few weeks to do that as I'm quite busy with some other projects.
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 19:59
I understand
Gtk is something that I never fot to work on the device since framebuffer is something old and that they dont have much suppor
Skia works beautfuly on FB
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 21:00
I just cloned avalonia master
and I see the Avalonia.Skia shared project
is everything there?
Gutemberg Ribeiro
@galvesribeiro
Aug 17 2016 21:26
@jameswalmsley / @danwalmsley reading the code, the SkiaPlatform.cs:
public static bool ForceSoftwareRendering
        {
            get { return s_forceSoftwareRendering; }
            set
            {
                s_forceSoftwareRendering = value;

// TODO: I left this property here as place holder. Do we still need the ability to Force software rendering?
                // Is it even possible with SkiaSharp? Perhaps kekekes can answer as part of the HW accel work.
                throw new NotImplementedException();
            }
        }
yes, software rendering is supported by Skia
for example, my case doesn't have HW accel and it still work