These are chat archives for Behat/Behat

Oct 2014
Oct 15 2014 09:05
Hi. I have a strange issue where the negation ~on tags did not work. So I upgraded to latest behat (v. 3.0.14) via composer. But now i complains about by configuration file. As fare as I can see the syntax have not changed. The error I get is: Unrecognized options "paths, context, filters" under "testwork"
Ignacio Tolstoy
@moffe42 your config is for v2. Config in v3 has changed
Ignacio Tolstoy
@naxhh
Oct 15 2014 09:15
ah ok, you come from v2. Yes for v3 it changed a lot
Oct 15 2014 09:15
@everzet is there an up to date version of the docs for the 3.* config file syntax
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:16
Oct 15 2014 09:16
http://docs.behat.org/en/v3.0/guides/6.profiles.html seems to lack most of the stuff that was used in the 2.5. Is the re a migration guide somewhere??
@everzet I can not see how to set the context, ike I did in my v2 config
should i put everything under suites now??
Ignacio Tolstoy
@naxhh
Oct 15 2014 09:19
Oct 15 2014 09:20
@naxhh I can not use context directly under default any more. It seems that it must be under suites
now i only need to figure out how to set the autoloader correctly.....
Ignacio Tolstoy
@naxhh
Oct 15 2014 09:22
If i don't remember bad that gist was from 3.0.5 i dont think it changed in recent versions.
Also in command line there is an option that will display all valid keys of the configuration
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:22
@moffe42 if you need a migration guide to upgrade, do not upgrade
v2 works perfectly fine
Ignacio Tolstoy
@naxhh
Oct 15 2014 09:23
I can't remember the option anyway
Oct 15 2014 09:23
@everzet I upgraded because the ~operator on filters: tags: did not work...
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:24
upgrading major version because there is a bug in minor is not a good idea
Oct 15 2014 09:24
@everzet I do not need a migration guide, I just need docs that is usefull. The docs for v3 seems to be lacking or only written for the behat devs them self..
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:26
@moffe42 again. Do not upgrade. v2 works perfectly fine. If there is a bug with tags - report an issue and we'll solve it. There's nothing forcing you to upgrade. Docs aren't written for behat devs, they are written by behat dev (singular). The reason why they are so lacking is because they are written by dev (singular), not users (plural). Want to improve docs - help improving them https://github.com/Behat/docs. Can't upgrade without docs describing every single step? Do not upgrade.
Oct 15 2014 09:29
@everzet I know and hence I joined this forum, to get some help. But now I am a bit confused, are you saying that I should not use the latest version of Behat? Currently I am on 2.4. So what I normally would do when I come across issues and I see that I'm behind in versions, I upgrade....
@everzet seems wast of you time to solve bugs in a very old branch....
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:31
you upgrade, but not major
you upgrade 2.4 to 2.5 to 2.6 and you'll always be fine
Oct 15 2014 09:32
I would must rather upgrade, and give you time to do great stuff instead og solving old bugs, that no one hits
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:32
you upgrade 2.4 to 3.0 and you get BC breaks across the board. Because that's what major update means
@moffe42 2.5 is LTE release. It would be supported (we'll fix bugs there) as long as there's no comprehensive docs for 3.0. The trick is - I'm not even sure that problem you had was indeed a bug, not a feature misunderstanding.
Oct 15 2014 09:34
@everzet I now. And I am willing to do the work to migrate to the next major version, I am just not able, since I can not the config file in v3 to work....
@everzet maybe not
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 09:35
@moffe42 if you cannot upgrade now, do not upgrade now. As simple as that. Again - there is NO benefit in upgrading if you are happy with how v2 works except one bug. Bugs are fixable
Oct 15 2014 09:58
@everzet Okay. I'm back on 2.5.3 my config file looks like https://gist.github.com/moffe42/4f502e2774c1c9342894#file-gistfile1-txt and I have one scenario that looks like this https://gist.github.com/moffe42/9cd42269d597fe260842. But the scenario is not omitted when I run behat. Is this a bug or intended behavior?
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 11:06
@moffe42 could you open an issue in Behat repo?
Igor Khokhlov
@verdet23
Oct 15 2014 12:04
Hi. I have some questions about Background and BeforeStep hook. This hook fires on Background steps?
Oct 15 2014 12:13
@everzet thanks for the feedback
Christophe Coevoet
@stof
Oct 15 2014 12:21
@verdet23 yes, it does
Konstantin Kudryashov
@everzet
Oct 15 2014 12:29
@moffe42 the reason I ask you to open an issue is that I'm currently busy and can't help you till evening. But in the issues other people can pick up your bug and help you out. In addition, if others have same issues as you do - visibility will help them too.
Ignacio Tolstoy
@naxhh
Oct 15 2014 12:54
@moffe42 if you create the issue can yo link that here? Just for people to reads this and wants to help you out :)
Christophe Coevoet
@stof
Oct 15 2014 14:07
@naxhh just paste the link to the issue after opening it
Ignacio Tolstoy
@naxhh
Oct 15 2014 15:15
@stof yes, thanks. I was refering to @moffe42 particular issue. So other people, like me, can check it and try to help him.