These are chat archives for ClojureBridgeLondon/chat

18th
Feb 2016
Rob Speller
@elrob
Feb 18 2016 09:02
Do you mean lighttable no longer includes instarepl? I thought instarepl was just a lighttable thing because I hadn't come across it before.
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 09:05
It means there is no standalone repl window by default. Instead you create a lein project and evaluate code in-line with Ctrl-Return or the whole file with Ctrl-Shift-Return
CIDER for emacs also shows the results of evaluating code in line, although it automatically clears the result when you move the cursor. Version 0.11 will have an enlighten mode that shows multiple return values, like Ctrl-Shift-Return in LightTable
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 20:58
@jarohen @ctford @philandstuff are you all still willing to give a demo as part of ClojureBridge? If so, please can you share what you would like to demo.
I thought it would be good idea if I demonstrated LightTable. Its a Clojure/ClojureScript tool and the attendees are also going to use it for the workshop. It would only be a short demo, covering the basics so as to not add too much complexity to their learning
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 21:10
@jr0cket, I was going to demo an online music environment I'm working on - http://ctford.github.io/klangmeister/
I can talk about it as long or as short as required.
I thought it would be good to show something webby, and also something they can play with without installing anything.
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 21:21
On the install instructions, why do we say "(skip LightTable Instarepl section)" rather than just removing that bit if we don't want it?
Rob Speller
@elrob
Feb 18 2016 21:38
yeah, there's also a lot of stuff in the slides that talks about the instarepl.
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 21:43
My LightTable doesn't even offer Instarepl as an option on the Ctrl+Space finder.
Rob Speller
@elrob
Feb 18 2016 21:44
yeah
i mentioned that earlier in one of these chats
that's why it's been skipped now
maybe it should be removed but that's potentially a larger refactor due to it being mentioned all over the slides
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 21:45
Ah, I missed that it's actually gone. I thought it was just confusing.
So we're expecting them to open one of the files in the welcometoclojure project to test?
Seems that LightTable has no obvious way to evaluate a scratch buffer. The option appears in the menu, but nothing happens.
Rob Speller
@elrob
Feb 18 2016 21:54
i got the core.clj to work
then went to the turtle walk.clj
cntrl shift enter
then write instructions below the commentz
and cntl enter
on each instruction
Philip Potter
@philandstuff
Feb 18 2016 21:56
@jr0cket I'm going to demo goyapixel http://jackschaedler.github.io/goya/
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 21:57
Oh, it looks like if you create a scratch file and save it with a .clj extension, then you can eval it anyway
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 22:01
@/all the attendees should create an leiningen project, open it in LightTable and use that for all their exercises. This is instead of using the Instarepl
That way you can also explain what a project is :)
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 22:03
Sounds good to me.
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Do we want to demo on the Friday evening or Saturday morning ? I cant remember which we did last time
Chris Ford
@ctford
I think I did Saturday.
I know it's a bit late, but should we update the instructions to do the project creation?
Annoyingly, it's in the install for each OS.
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 22:06
Yes, I believe you are right. Lets stick with that. I think 5 minutes is a rough guide for a demo, probably no more than 10 minutes
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 22:06
@jr0cket Will do.
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 22:07
I can hack the content to remove the instarepl from each of the setups...
Our fork of curriculum has diverged alot and is too late to get an upstream pull request merged and pulled back down (there are several pull requests waiting)
@elrob did you say the curriculum slides also mention the instarepl? I probably wont hack that if its all the way through, I'll check this evening if its achievable in time
Chris Ford
@ctford
Feb 18 2016 22:15
I think the slides isn't as much of a problem.
Because it can be explained.
But the instarepl instructions to test LightTable are a bit misleading.
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 22:17
@ctford yep, thats pretty easy to remove....
thanks
John Stevenson
@jr0cket
Feb 18 2016 22:59
The setup instructions have the Instarepl reference removed (although you can still see the instarepl tab in the images)