These are chat archives for CodeHubOrg/discussions

16th
Nov 2016
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Nov 16 2016 07:20
@rinse0ut Thanks for the tip on that Udacity tutorial Dave, was very good! Knew some of it from my time in Infrastructure, but did learn some good things.
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 07:21
@TimHandy Glad you found it useful. Dev Tools are your friend!
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Nov 16 2016 07:21
Watched a couple more, one on MVC in Ruby, but still relevant, and now started on JS Design Patterns... it's got an Octopus for a controller!
how did the interview go?
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 07:25
Good thanks, got an offer. I’ve accepted the Node React job though. Just need to negotiate the contract to allow me to do freelance support. Trying to get the layout working for dynamic routes on my Ionic app. I’ll try and take a look at our Organisations Database later. It would be good to get things moving on it again.
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Nov 16 2016 07:26
Yes, I really want to contribute to that if I can!
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 07:28
There will be plenty of stuff to do for it!
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 17:24
@TimHandy Thanks for the great talk on Webpack yesterday. It helped me try and get a static site working (close but no cigar!)
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Nov 16 2016 17:26
you're welcome... what didn't work?
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 17:26
I’ve picked up the Organisations Database again. I’m keen that we start getting this moving again. One of the first things to rename the file and variables from 'organisation’ to resources or perhaps something even more generic and reuseable like ‘item’. Thoughts please.
@TimHandy BabelLoaderError: SyntaxError: 'import' and 'export' may only appear at the top level (103:2) According to Dan Abramov it’s to do with the order of loading the hot-replacement module, however I’m not loading it!
I might have to make a minimal test case (a basic static site) to see if I can get it working. Once you have a static webpack site you can host it on yourusername.github.io and have a nice preview link on your README page.
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Nov 16 2016 17:37
module: {
        loaders: [
            {
                test: /\.js$/,
                include: path.join(__dirname, 'src'),
                loader: 'babel-loader',
                query: {
                    presets: ['es2015']
                },
                plugins: [
                    'transform-runtime' // the 'transform-runtime' plugin tells babel to require the runtime instead of inlining it.  npm i -D babel-plugin-transform-runtime  and  npm i -S babel-runtime
                ]
            },
That's my section for babel... i checked my bundle.js file and its transpiling my let to var
@rinse0ut On the naming... I don't have thoughts either way; item is nice and short.
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 17:50
I like item as it is generic and reusable and if we decide to change the app again in the future we wouldn’t have to rename again. Perhaps you would like to make the change? it would allow you to get more familar with the app.
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Nov 16 2016 17:53
sure... I'll maybe have time later tonight or tomorrow... send a PR once done?
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 18:29
Nice one. Yes, you could create an issue on the repo. I would suggest you start by changing the tests, running them and then fixing the rest of the code base.
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Nov 16 2016 21:51
@TimHandy btw you’ll have to fork the repo. Michael did a presentation on this that you might find useful: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12XPsgBkarJLA6I1UJd7HK1izUpQfX2Lt2gQq91z9XNQ/edit
and do a pull request