These are chat archives for CodeHubOrg/discussions

27th
Mar 2017
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 27 2017 09:57
React and 'Relax'? Hmm, not heard of that one...
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 09:58
Relax is the React CMS: https://github.com/relax/relax
Says it’s not ready for production yet.
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 27 2017 10:13
Ok, one to watch out for in the future
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 10:14
Keystone JS is the arguably the best JS CMS at the moment.
Gicela
@Gicela
Mar 27 2017 11:11
Keystonejs looks interesting, I wish they had a better demo though.
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 11:12
I was going to use it for a freelance project, however you can’t host node on Cpanel servers :unamused:
So I’m making a simple CMS using Laravel and Vue :smile:
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 27 2017 12:09
@katjad just letting you know I'm working on the search filter dropdowns today and should be able to submit a pull request tomorrow. Cheers.
@Gicela hopefully once this is in order we can resume the pair programming at next js101 session.
Gicela
@Gicela
Mar 27 2017 12:33
@wingedeel @katjad I've been practising making new components and I finally got it! I think I can now do some proper work on it tomorrow and more pair programming next week :)
@rinse0ut Not used Laravel. Sticking to WP as CMS for now :)
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 27 2017 19:05
@Gicela Great to hear. Looking forward to working on app together next Tuesday
@rinse0ut your CMS seems a bit of an oxymoron to me tbh ;)
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 19:15
@katjad not sure what you mean. I’m enjoying Vue JS it’s simple and easy to use with great documentation. Laravel is the same. I would recommend trying them out if you’ve not already.
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 27 2017 19:22
@rinse0ut I only once set Laravel up, and it seemed relatively heavy to me, but I might be wrong!
@rinse0ut And in any case, you can of course build something easy to use for a customer which is the more important thing.
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 19:25
@katjad I’m used to using Symfony, so it seems the opposite! Yes that’s the mark of good software if the users are happy.
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 27 2017 19:25
@rinse0ut It would be good to do more with Laravel, but I am sure I am quite far from setting up a CMS with it :) B
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 19:26
@katjad I can talk you through my project at the next session if you like. It’s a good way to learn MVC.
Katja Durrani
@katjad
@rinse0ut Ah yes, Symfony is crazy, we have some projects at work, just to get them running was such a faff. Now doing one with Magento, but it's mainly my colleague, though I might get to help a bit. Curious how that will go. At least have got the project set up already..
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Magento is a beast!
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 27 2017 19:27
@rinse0ut Would be great to hear about Laravel at next session!
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 19:28
Sure np!
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 27 2017 19:28
@rinse0ut Have you heard of SilverStripe? Not that well known, but it's an application framework with CMS on top, and you can set up relations between things quite easily. I
Dave Thomson
@rinse0ut
Mar 27 2017 19:31
No I’ll check it out. I just need something really basic for a small bit of dynamic content, web scraping and api feeds, so I thought I’d try out Vue js. It’s good!
Not keen on Wordpress and Drupal, but am going to have try them out soon as well.
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 27 2017 19:36
Interested to hear about what you build with Vue. SilverStripe probably a bit overkill - and was for some of my old projects possibly. I too avoided Wordpress for a long time, until I needed to use it at my job. But I think it has improved a lot, it now has a plugin called advanced custom fields with which you can do a lot. We also use it with Twig templating engine which also helps. But I still don't like that you have to update it all the time.