These are chat archives for CodeHubOrg/discussions

29th
Mar 2017
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Mar 29 2017 10:29
Anyone want to pair with me on making the burger-nav work on JS101 site?
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 29 2017 11:06
@TimHandy sounds like a nice self-contained thing to work on. I have to sign off now though. Up for some pair programming next week.
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Mar 29 2017 11:06
ok. think I've cracked that problem. Just about to do a PR.
give me a shout when you want to pair.
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 29 2017 11:12
@Gicela @katjad Have continued work on organisations-database today and have pushed latest changes, branch 'filter-dropdown-component'. Not quite ready for a PR yet though as in the midst of a refactor - hopefully tomorrow though. The author/title search now displays in correct area. Please can you let me know before you resume work on this. Thanks.
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Mar 29 2017 13:05
Anyone got a good (free) resource for what the point of a Redux Action and Reducer is? I'm following https://teropa.info/blog/2015/09/10/full-stack-redux-tutorial.html#what-you-will-need as recommended here, but I just don't get it at all.
Jack Leigh
@leighman
Mar 29 2017 13:10
You have a single store of state in redux - an action is a call to modify that state (possibly with a bit of data attached) and the reducer modifies the relevant section of the state
the reducer just sets out in a functional way how the state transforms given any particular action
actions being an interface to specify the ways in which the state can be changed
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Mar 29 2017 13:12
so you have your own function that does something to some data that you want to modify in the store, and you have to create an action to run that function and the action works with the reducer to change the state in the store?
Jack Leigh
@leighman
Mar 29 2017 13:14
redux provides a dispatch method - you call that with actions and redux will run the reducer which switches on actions and carries out some change
the action is just an object with a name and maybe some more data
sorry, be back in an hour or so
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Mar 29 2017 13:27
no worries, I'll do some reading... it seems a very convoluted string of things to me.
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 29 2017 15:35
Have you looked at this article @TimHandy ? I found it very useful.
Tim Handy
@TimHandy
Mar 29 2017 15:38
@wingedeel thanks, yes, read that earlier. think i need to see it in action now, as still very confused. I'll watch some demos or something.
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 29 2017 19:39
@TimHandy hope you had a good time in Cornwall Thanks for nav, well pull and push to staging, also contact @trianah @wingedeel great to hear you worked on the filter dropdown, will pull changes. I refactored my component from last time, but also need to do a bit more though have pushed something. Currently feeling quite exhausted but want to catch up soon with things on here, and my tasks!
wingedeel
@wingedeel
Mar 29 2017 20:02
Hi @katjad, thats great you've managed to do some refactoring. Did you just work on the ItemEdit component? Yesterday I was working on the search filters but today I've made changes to some of the 'view' components so they display the search results (as you know, previously was displaying all the items). I've not quite finished this (hope to tomorrow) so if you pull my changes a few things won't work (like selecting an item, for example).
Gicela
@Gicela
Mar 29 2017 21:08
@rTimHandy @rinseOut Happy to talk you about WP.
Gicela
@Gicela
Mar 29 2017 21:16
@wingedeel @katjad Just pull the latest changes. Wanted to include aliases on the webpack.config so we don't need to include the relative paths, just call the name of the components. Is this a good idea?
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 29 2017 22:11
@wingedeel Yes, just ItemEdit, but I want to use it for adding resources as well, so ItemAdd will become redundant :)
Katja Durrani
@katjad
Mar 29 2017 22:18
Latest changes now live on staging site - we should discuss next Tuesday who else wants to go on Contact page! Also have info@codehub.org.uk - and codehuborg@gmail.com ;) is that address correct @Gicela