These are chat archives for CommBank/maestro

3rd
Mar 2015
Stephan Hoermann
@stephanh
Mar 03 2015 03:50
So I have factored out a bunch of the generic parts from DB in answer and got an initial idea of how that might work. Should I push the code in its rough state for discussion or do you want me to refine it a bit more first?
Sam Roberts
@SamRoberts
Mar 03 2015 03:50
rough state seems fine to me
Vineeth Varghese
@vineethvarghese
Mar 03 2015 03:51
push it
Stephan Hoermann
@stephanh
Mar 03 2015 03:52
Ok. It's on the branch generic. The last commit has all the changes and you probably want to start with DB2 and ResourceMonadOps.
CommBank/answer@65a0ba0
I would love some naming suggestions for what I have called a ResourceMapper and ResourceMonadOps.
Sam Roberts
@SamRoberts
Mar 03 2015 04:27
@stephanh looks good, although I can't resist the urge to grumble that we are rolling too much of our own functionality rather then leaning on Plus and friends.
I agree that ResourceBlah are not really the best names. Can't they be called something to do with Result? After all, they are essentially the extra methods you get to define because you have the ResultMapper class in addition to the Monad class.
Oh, and I made a handful of comments on the commit, albeit only one of any real value
Stephan Hoermann
@stephanh
Mar 03 2015 05:06
Thanks Sam, I'll have to look at what's in scalaz and what we can use
Rowan Davies
@rowandavies
Mar 03 2015 20:49
@SamRoberts I’ve think I’ve addressed all your feedback on the README update, #282. I even created a cut down CustomerJob.scala, which I’ll push in a rebase once you’ve checked my latest incremental commit.
The only thing I didn’t do was replace “effects” with “side effects”, since I think in this particular context some expressions may have effects as their main purpose (conceptually I’m thinking they may in some sense correspond to inhabitants of something like an IO monad). Happy to discuss this last point if you think just “effects” isn’t clear enough.
Sam Roberts
@SamRoberts
Mar 03 2015 22:02
@rowandavies that's fine, it wasn't a big point. more of a question then anything.
Rowan Davies
@rowandavies
Mar 03 2015 22:29
Be there 9.40. Sorry lost track of the time.