These are chat archives for DigitalGlobe/tools

Dec 2016
Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 15:06
@eddiana @surge-cmcgeorge -- the runtime error (R6034) .. are we linking in anything from QGIS? they had a known problem related to this a while back
also, what VS version are you using to build SA?
have you looked at the guidance at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235560(v=vs.90).aspx? it has some specific info about manually adding a manifest to a .exe or .dll from the command line
there are also references online to needing to locally install the C++ redistributable package(s) (e.g., 2005 x64 and/or x86)
Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 15:13
another possibility is having a duplicate or spurious copy of the runtime library (e.g., msvcr90.dll, msvcp80.dll, ...) in a folder exposed to the application (e.g., in the PATH)
do we currently build with an app.manifest file? if so, what's in it?
another possibility to look at is statically linking with Qt .. if we're doing that, try dynamically linking to Qt .. also, make sure the compiler and build type are the same for Qt and the main app
Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 15:20
have you used Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) to see if there are any issues (especially related to MSVC runtime libraries)?
Des Petrie
@DesPetrie
Dec 06 2016 16:13
@surge-cmcgeorge @WesHildebrandt Turns out Radiant does not have a solution out of the box for us, so we'll have to figure out what to do with OSSIM ourselves.
Ed Diana
@eddiana
Dec 06 2016 16:29
@WesHildebrandt yes, I've used Dependency Walker pretty extensively while hunting this down. I did cut down some of the multiple msvc dll requirements with it, but there's some that we won't be able to get rid of until we have 64 bit going. There is a manifest in the .exe, and it gets a different msg if its taken completely out. I'll check to see if QGIS is related. I think I saw that mentioned when researching the problem. I did try to build using a static msvc runtime, but that introduced some other problems - Mainly that the necessary Qt lib that contains Qt's WinMain wasn't being linked in for some reason, causing it not to be found.
Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 16:30
thanks, Ed .. I figured you had looked at most of these leads already .. what error do you see if you take the manfest out of the .exe? and what build environment are you using?
Ed Diana
@eddiana
Dec 06 2016 17:58
@WesHildebrandt its the same error #, but it gives a message about a missing manifest (as opposed to a message that says the runtime is being loaded incorrectly)
Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 18:00
you mentioned multiple msvc requirements .. there seems to be a lot of discussion about conflicting msvc runtimes causing this error .. is that potentially the problem?
Des Petrie
@DesPetrie
Dec 06 2016 18:01
We can go through on call now if that would help also ?
Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 18:01
calling in...
Des Petrie
@DesPetrie
Dec 06 2016 20:33
@surge-cmcgeorge I found a DG internal Dev out in Colorado that may be able to help with OSSIM. He's not a windows guy, but he may be able to connect us with a team out there that is. I'll set up a call for us to discuss with him tomorrow. FYI @WesHildebrandt @eddiana I'll copy you in case you want to join
Christopher McGeorge
@surge-cmcgeorge
Dec 06 2016 23:12

@DesPetrie: Thank you, Desiree!

It turns out that Qt does not intrinsically support logging. There are, however, logging libraries that use Qt, such as Log4Qt and QsLog. Would you like me to spend time researching and compiling one of these libraries? Or if logging is not overly important, would you like me to write quickly basic logging functionality in Signature Analyst or disable logging altogether?

Wes Hildebrandt
@WesHildebrandt
Dec 06 2016 23:13
let's temporarily comment out logging and revisit after we get SA to launch without that runtime library error