These are chat archives for Fortran-FOSS-Programmers/General-Discussion

Jun 2015
Michel Müller
@muellermichel
Jun 17 2015 01:29
@zbeekman Thank you very much. I'm a bit skeptical whether pure bound checks will help in my case. My type of bug happens when you pass in e.g. a I-J-K ordered array to a dummy variable that's K-I-J ordered. In these cases Fortran AFAIK performs an implicit reshape. Both in the caller and the callee there isn't an operation that would be out of bounds, the problem lies in the implicit reshape.
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 17 2015 10:24
@zbeekman Hi Izaak, how do you created the group github page? Have you manually edited the html? Have you started from a boilerplate? Have you used some kind of CMS? I have a very little experience with html (just the minimum necessary for MaTiSSe), I am now playing with Hugo. I will feel more conformtable if we can handle the page via markdown throgh some processors, maybe @certik and @cmacmackin have more experience and can give smarter suggestion/help? I would like to contribute to the page, but I think that editing the html directly is not right way
Izaak "Zaak" Beekman
@zbeekman
Jun 17 2015 14:05
@szaghi: I am using the github automatic page generator. If you click the settings/options button for the repository then you can click the “launch automatic page generator button” and it should let you hack away at the page in markdown. There is also a way to use jekyll which might make more sense… It translates markdown to themed html, I think. I’ll see what I can do to set that up.
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 17 2015 14:07
Yes, I know jekyll
I never used the automatic page generator
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 17 2015 14:14
Ok, I think we can open our first discussion... how we manage the group github page? my vote is for Jekyll (or similar). I think that @cmacmackin is a guru of https://github.com/getpelican/pelican, while I do not how @certik handle his great http://www.fortran90.org/. Anyhow the page should have very simple aims (I think) thus we do not need/want too powerfull tool. Mardown+Jekyll-like is right tool-class for me. What do you think?
Izaak "Zaak" Beekman
@zbeekman
Jun 17 2015 15:11
I want something easy… I’d be happy with jekyll if it’s markdown based… This will be my first time using it.
Izaak "Zaak" Beekman
@zbeekman
Jun 17 2015 15:17
@szaghi I’ve never used jekyll but if it’s markdown based that works perfectly for me.
@muellermichel are you using assumed shape array dummy arguments? If so you’re absolutely right, and there won’t be a way to detect i-j-k vs k-j-i. You could create a derived type to encapsulate the indeces or even go to old school automatic array dummy variables:
subroutine do_something(isz,jsz,ksz,array…)
  integer, intent(in) :: isz,jsz.ksz
  real, intent(inout) :: array(isz,jsz,ksz)
Chris MacMackin
@cmacmackin
Jun 17 2015 16:35

@szaghi Well, Pelican is certainly very easy to use and can generate pages from Markdown (in addition to RestructuredText and ASCIIDocs). One of its big advantages is that it has quite a few plugins available and a lot of pre-existing themes (which can be tweaked as needed). I know nothing about how Jekyll compares in those regards. That said, Jekyll certainly has tighter integration with GitHub--I'm under the impression that you don't have to regenerate the website manually because GitHub can build it for you.

I certainly agree that some sort of static-site generator is the way to go. Even though I, personally, would be comfortable enough editing the HTML for the pages, HTML is an extremely clunky and inconvenient language to work in directly.

Chris MacMackin
@cmacmackin
Jun 17 2015 16:41
I'll just add that the advantage (in my eyes) of Pelican is that it is written in Python. While this might not seem important, it has impacts on things like template design, how you specify your preferences, and (obviously) building plugins. I mention this because I'm willing to bet that more of us know Python than Ruby (in which Jekyll is implemented).
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 17 2015 19:15
@cmacmackin you are right, I guess python is better than ruby for most of us (at least for me) but I think that for the purpose of maintaining the group page the baseline features of static site generators available (jekyll, pelican, hugo,...) should be enough and we will not have to develop plugins (I hope). Tomorow I will try jekyll in the fork I have made today and I will give you my impressions.
@muellermichel what about this
subroutine foo(array)
real, intent(INOUT):: array(1:,1:,1:)
...
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 17 2015 19:50
@muellermichel forget the previous, sorry i am too tired :worried: