These are chat archives for Fortran-FOSS-Programmers/General-Discussion

22nd
Jun 2015
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 22 2015 04:36
@cmacmackin Great idea! I am with you. Just few comments:
  • owner/member : you are rigth, by default only owner can create repository; I have no idea how to change for allowing a member to create a repo; howeverm I think you will be very interested on the group and you will not only be a contributor, I ask to @zbeekman to make you an owner if both of you agree;
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 22 2015 04:43
  • I want to actively partecipate to FLATpack: if you will use python I will try give my modest contribution, but for laguages other than fortran/python my contribution will be even more usefuless.
  • in case you will use python I suggest to try something different than argparse...
  • for the logic you depicted, some inspiration can be taken from the package manager of Arch Linux, pacman;
    For now you have found one collaborator :-)
Chris MacMackin
@cmacmackin
Jun 22 2015 12:19
Thanks @szaghi . A few questions in response to your comments:
  • Are you saying that your contribution would be more useful_ or more use_less if Python is not used (I assume the latter from the context)
  • Why do you suggest not using argparse? Is there a problem with it?
  • Surely it would be better to look at something like yaourt rather than pacman? Yaourt seems to be far more in line with what I'm talking about here, seeing as it actually builds the binaries, whereas pacman just downloads and installs the pre-built ones.
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 22 2015 12:21
Hi @cmacmackin
  • i think I am a bad programmer in general, but with Fortran I am much more comfortable than with other; anyhow, some experience with Python there is, thus I can contribute if you chose python; for any other languages I am almost use_less but I will try to help you;
  • yes argparse seems to have minor bugs, e.g. white spaces into cli options (I faced with them into FoBiS); if you start from scratch, maybe it is a good occasion to test other module (Clize, click, tor, etc...);
  • you are right, I use yaourt every day, but it should be more or less a wrapper around pacman with the plus to handle aur repository; what I was really thinking was a sort package builds logic inspired from the one of Arch (pacman/yaourt based)
Stefano Zaghi
@szaghi
Jun 22 2015 12:28
To be more clear, I think that a project like FLATPack should be based on language like Python (ideal for me beacouse I can try to help), not Fortran; however, there other members of the group that can help more than me that maybe are more experienced with Ruby, Go, C++ or whatever... My vote is for Python, but it is just one vote :-)
Chris MacMackin
@cmacmackin
Jun 22 2015 12:41
Well, I'd probably be in much the same boat as you if we don't use Python. I might be able to relearn Java (but why would anyone use it?). Vala is quite nice, but not many people know it and it's library support is still somewhat sparse. In any case, it's more useful for GUIs and I only intend this to have a CLI.
Izaak "Zaak" Beekman
@zbeekman
Jun 22 2015 15:17
+1 for Python. I don’t know much Python, but I think you’re right that it’s the most well known language by Fortran programers that is suitable for such a task… I’ll add you as an owner @cmacmackin if you would like to move FLATPack under Fortran-FOSS-Programmers…
@szaghi We have an in house Finite Difference DNS/LES solver for Turbulence research of compressible flows. (BLs, SW/BL interactions, Shock-isotropic-turbulence interaction, etc.) My one comment about original Jiang & Shu WENO is that it is quite dissipative. You can play some tricks to get it to behave more like a Padé scheme, at least in the context of Finite Difference
Chris MacMackin
@cmacmackin
Jun 22 2015 15:27
Thanks @zbeekman ! I've recreated the repository there and would request anyone who wants to look at it follow this link: https://github.com/Fortran-FOSS-Programmers/FLATPack. The old repository hosted on my own account will be converted to my personal fork.
I guess the other option for the language to implement this in would be shell-script. Personally, I wouldn't be a great fan of that because I don't have much experience with shell scripting and find it ungainly compared to working in a good scripting language like Python. However, more people might know it and it does have the advantage of being able to interact more easily with the system.
Izaak "Zaak" Beekman
@zbeekman
Jun 22 2015 15:50
I know bash quite well, but from what I’ve seen of Python, it seems to be able to have more fine grained control across OSes and will provide a more unified, coherent and polished system/interface than shell script could. One of the first things such a project will require is some convention for installation that will allow multiple versions of libraries etc. to peacefully coexist along side each other.
@cmacmackin we should probably create a separate gitter.im room for FLATPack since I anticipate there being quite a bit of discussion about it… that way we can keep this space for more general announcements
Chris MacMackin
@cmacmackin
Jun 22 2015 15:51
Fine with me!
Izaak "Zaak" Beekman
@zbeekman
Jun 22 2015 15:52
for anyone who wants to provide suggestions/advice/input on FLATPack, you can head to this room: https://gitter.im/Fortran-FOSS-Programmers/FLATPack