These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

Mar 2016
Miguel Ben
@Mius00
Mar 16 2016 06:04
guys, I was told during class to choose a project / final to present for the end of the semester. It would be highly appreciated if you guys have some suggestions.
At least to brainstorm the possibilities.
either way it will be fun. (I have nearly two months left but need to prepare.)
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 08:32

@ChristianBertram I saw the Clock problem and I have to say they are not easy to solve...

People interested in algos: check the Danish competition (ask @ChristianBertram)!

If they say it can be solved in 1sec it is because no brute force solution is allowed and they are exact solutions. A good knowledge of maths (like linear algebra) will help a lot...

@jbmartinez @jameswinegar : did you remember my idea about the hackaton-ish project? Check the site of the Danish competition suggested by @ChristianBertram, ddd.codejudge.net/2016/ : exactly in that direction, so someone already took the lead :)

@Mius00 I would like to advise you but how good are you in python? numpy / matplotlib are like learning a dialect of a language. regex is another thing: you really need to study it apart.

@Mius00 the final project: what is the idea? Data Analysis?

@Mius00 @cmpn253 haven't check that book... I will...

Christian Bertram
@cbertram
Mar 16 2016 08:47
@evaristoc correct, the purpose is that you cannot solve it with brute force, and need to find some pretty interesting optimisations :)
Miguel Ben
@Mius00
Mar 16 2016 17:09
@evaristoc I need more practice with regex, python intermediate.
and the modules I started using them this semester
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 17:11
@Mius00 we can talk if you want about FCC data, depends what you are looking for...
FCC_chatroom_201603161813.png
Miguel Ben
@Mius00
Mar 16 2016 17:16
@evaristoc this is the repo of the book https://github.com/joelgrus/data-science-from-scratch
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 17:16

People:
Graph ABOVE ^^^

Screenshot of the FCC chatroom: a network graph (in realtime).

You don't see it but you can drag the points (d3.js force layout).

I will explain the project and share the code and comment later this week.

@Mius00 Nice! Thanks!
CamperBot
@camperbot
Mar 16 2016 17:17
evaristoc sends brownie points to @mius00 :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:star: 306 | @mius00 | http://www.freecodecamp.com/mius00
Miguel Ben
@Mius00
Mar 16 2016 17:18
Miguel Ben
@Mius00
Mar 16 2016 17:35
I would love to work with fcc data to present it in class.
our professor showed us this as an example/ criteria.
to follow
@evaristoc
Lightwaves
@Lightwaves
Mar 16 2016 19:00
Oh a directed graph
That's a very good book
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 19:15

@Lightwaves no, capi: this one was undirected (although I am planning to do some directed one later...)

@Mius00.... hmmmm... nice links!!!
There are some sources, including the Torrent Dataset of Dec2015...
Let's DM later to comment about it? We will probably need a phone call...

evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 19:27
@Mius00 enjoyable the github by Grus (author of the book DS from Scratch).
Lightwaves
@Lightwaves
Mar 16 2016 19:28
I'm looking forward for DS from scratch going to look up some Stats and go through that.
some point soon in the future
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 19:29
@Lightwaves :)
Lightwaves
@Lightwaves
Mar 16 2016 19:29
Ironically I'm always asked for stats help and I don't know stats :(
So this is the excuse I need
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 19:29
Your destiny...
Lightwaves
@Lightwaves
Mar 16 2016 19:29
to learn it
yes I'm inching toward it haha
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 16 2016 19:37
@Lightwaves The book by Grus... have a look... specially the github... you are not going to learn DS or stats by only reading this book for being extremely basic but perhaps the codes could become useful for other purposes?
Lightwaves
@Lightwaves
Mar 16 2016 20:41
I learn best when I understand the material from first principles.
I don't need a complete understanding but just enough.
Haha I'll be looking at a lot more then just the Grus book.
but that's a good start