These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

Mar 2016
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
Mar 29 2016 07:51
@/all tomorrow we will launch a massive survey of people who are learning to code. We hope to get > 20,000 responses over the next two weeks, and immediately open the dataset once collection is done. If you have a moment to test it out and give me feedback, I would appreciate any insights you may have.
Survey (note that it's in two connected sections): https://freecodecamp.typeform.com/to/gc0JJI
Here's what the data output looks like (in CSV format): https://gist.github.com/QuincyLarson/f2f79b1d74788a99b535
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
Mar 29 2016 07:54
Is the "an" in question 12 a typo?
@QuincyLarson In section 2 q7 seems superfluous as q8 asks the same thing more broadly
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
Mar 29 2016 08:00
For other surveys I normally ask what is the primary language spoken at home as 'native language' can have other meanings. E.g. an Indigenous Australian may have a native language that they don't know as well as English
I'd also be interested to hear what tech people have access to beyond whether they have broadband at home.
Brian
@sludge256
Mar 29 2016 08:17
@krisgesling For "Which learning resources have you found helpful?", were you aware of the full list of options?
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
Mar 29 2016 09:16
@sludge256 yep saw those but didn't bother writing in other for the test run. A question might be whether stack overflow or documentation (w3/Mozilla/other) are learning resources or not (for context I don't think either are options but would be things id consider writing in)
Brian
@sludge256
Mar 29 2016 09:17
My concern is people won't scroll through the whole list.
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Mar 29 2016 11:50
People:
Those who are interested in testing the questionnaire: let us know through this channel?
Koustuv Sinha
@koustuvsinha
Mar 29 2016 13:28
i have done my survey @evaristoc
the questionnaire is well built. i really liked the keyboard input part.. makes voting easy!
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 14:24

About how many months have you been programming for?

How does someone in my situation answer a question like this?

Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 14:32
I just put a number.
@QuincyLarson Which field do you work in?
... Another survey where my field isn't even listed.
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 14:38
@QuincyLarson I answered the survey.
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
Mar 29 2016 16:24

@krisgesling thank you for catching that typo. I've updated it.
I agree - "which language do you speak at home" is better.
And yes, there are a ton of other options that we couldn't fit into a reasonable length list.

Here's an updated csv with results from everyone's run-throughs: https://gist.github.com/QuincyLarson/816640310930edf00276

@revisualize what's your field? I think we have "other"

CamperBot
@camperbot
Mar 29 2016 16:24
quincylarson sends brownie points to @krisgesling and @revisualize :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:star: 383 | @krisgesling | http://www.freecodecamp.com/krisgesling
:star: 801 | @revisualize | http://www.freecodecamp.com/revisualize
Koustuv Sinha
@koustuvsinha
Mar 29 2016 16:25
yeah can see my entry :D
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
Mar 29 2016 16:25
@revisualize OK - I've added "other" to that question.
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 16:26
@QuincyLarson I work in IT Operations. So, not software development but, still IT.
So, like Deskside Support, Help Desk Administrator, Database Administrator, Server Administrator, Systems Administrator, Technical Support
e4118e61dec81f13db2661cd2e54c9dd,36,male,,"United States of America","United States of America","between 100,000 and 1 million",1,English,"some college credit, no degree",,0,,,,,1,0,,1,8000,"Employed for wages",,,42000,70,1,0,0,1,Yes,,,,,,,coffee-and-codes,"EdX, Coursera, Free Code Camp, Codecademy, Code Newbie Podcast, Software Engineering Daily Podcast, JavaScript Jabber, DevTips, technical books",8,36,No,,,,,,,200,,"2016-03-29 14:29:12","2016-03-29 14:36:34",4b06f7bfee
I don't think that collected all of my answers. Odd.
OH SNAP! I'm supposed to be anonymous.
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
Mar 29 2016 17:05
@revisualize OK - I've added an other field.
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 17:09
@QuincyLarson I added youtube and udemy to my other fields for some of the questions. It doesn't look they carried over.
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 17:18
@QuincyLarson Yeah, it doesn't look like anything that I put in the other field carried over. Because for events that I've attended I also put Meetup.com and Eventbrite.com
Also, it doesn't look like my responses for What's your marital status? Do you have children? How many children do you have? Do you financially support any elderly relatives or relatives with disabilities?
none of that carried over.
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 17:23
This survey was odd. I'm looking at it now and seeing different questions.
Brian
@sludge256
Mar 29 2016 17:51
@revisualize Some questions have branching points based on the response(s) given.
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Mar 29 2016 18:42
Are we supposed to retake the survey worth the changes? Or...
Abhisek Pattnaik
@abhisekp
Mar 29 2016 18:44

@QuincyLarson I see this. Is this correct?

@QuincyLarson No suggestions and i'm unable to pass through the survey without completing this

@QuincyLarson also about the city population. Wouldn't it be better to just insert the city instead of asking for population. Seldom anyone remembers the population.
Abhisek Pattnaik
@abhisekp
Mar 29 2016 18:51
@QuincyLarson about the currencies. Wouldn't be nice if people could just write 1556 INR or 484 USD, or 984 AUD etc?
@QuincyLarson I noticed an issue in copy paste of currency. When I copy paste a decimal amount, it simply removes the decimal point but not any number after the decimal point. So I copy paste an amount say 154.16 and press ENTER. This will remove the decimal point making the number 15416.
And copy paste is necessary coz i've to convert all my values from INR to USD using Google Calc and then copy paste the value
Roel Verbunt
@roelver
Mar 29 2016 20:51
The first external app using the new Open API is a rebuild of my Leaderboard challenge
@abhisekp some of the limitations you point out are inherent in Typeform itself
@revisualize I think that was because I was modifying the survey when you took it. I just checked and it looks like everything is now carrying over
/@all the survey is now live. If you took it earlier to test it, thanks for your help. I've deleted those data, so you can take it for real this time :)
Joseph
@revisualize
Mar 29 2016 21:47
@QuincyLarson Thanks. I'm currently working through the survey.
CamperBot
@camperbot
Mar 29 2016 21:47
revisualize sends brownie points to @quincylarson :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:star: 1079 | @quincylarson | http://www.freecodecamp.com/quincylarson
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:07
not sure where to post this so ill start here. i was using linux but now im on windows. Any programs anyone suggest using for terminal?
i downloadec cygwin but the commands dont seem to work the same on this program
Zac Cassini
@zcassini
Mar 29 2016 22:11
@andrewchar what doesn't work for you? and if you don't mind why switch to windows?
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:12
i had a dual boot setup with ubuntu but i had to reformat my pc
Zac Cassini
@zcassini
Mar 29 2016 22:12
you could run a virtual machine with ubuntu on it.
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:13
i looed into a VM but it looked a little advanced for me
Zac Cassini
@zcassini
Mar 29 2016 22:13
its super easy and will save you some headaches
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:13
is running it on a VM better then dual boot?
Zac Cassini
@zcassini
Mar 29 2016 22:15
It's not better or worse. It's jsut what works for your situation.
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:15
all i wanna do is push a new website i made to github
Zac Cassini
@zcassini
Mar 29 2016 22:16
do you want to continue to make websites though?
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:16
Zac Cassini
@zcassini
Mar 29 2016 22:18
then you might want to keep a linux dev environment around. With the vm you can start it up when ever you need to with out having to shutdown windows.
Github makes windows tools available also.
This looks like a decent guid for getting a vm setup http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Ubuntu-on-VirtualBox
Andrew Charlebois
@andrewchar
Mar 29 2016 22:23
cool thanks i will read up on it