These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

May 2016
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
May 10 2016 00:45
@krisgesling The most interesting thing about the gender question imho is the proportion of females. This is the main focus of the larger discussion on diversity in technology fields - representation of women. So you might consider making a graphic that just shows the percentage of respondents that were female in each country. This means you only have to visualize one thing, and could use intensity of color.
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
May 10 2016 00:56

@profoundhub I can tell you anecdotally that we average around 2,000 new registered campers every day.

@qmikew1 I don't think there's a moral problem with promoting ad-supported podcasts. Ads (sponsors) are one of the only avenues available to podcasters.

@Areef1991 welcome to the data science room.

Serenity
@qmikew1
May 10 2016 00:57
@QuincyLarson yeah, they do need to keep the podcasts going.... point taken
but meant it as an indirect support thing
(am just super cautious and slightly neurotic)
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
May 10 2016 00:59
@qmikew1 no worries. No harm in being cautious ;)
Daniel
@profoundhub
May 10 2016 02:02
Thanks @QuincyLarson that's awesome, I check in every 4 - 5 hours, i love the community here!
CamperBot
@camperbot
May 10 2016 02:02
:star2: 1131 | @quincylarson |http://www.freecodecamp.com/quincylarson
profoundhub sends brownie points to @quincylarson :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
ITme2015
@ITme2015
May 10 2016 07:30
Hi All!
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 10 2016 08:23
@qmikew1 are you going to take the project? It would be great!
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 10 2016 09:45
Alright I've changed it back to being colouring in by gender. I was concerned about countries with a small response rate being misrepresented but really for the one female respondent in Libya it would be pretty cool to have your country highlighted thanks to your work and they deserve to be represented too. Also added a global statistics bar so you can see the global proportion of genders.
Has anyone else started a visualisation or waiting on the data to get cleaned up?
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 10 2016 10:10

@krisgesling VERY good... I still have some doubts about the need of the pie in the tooltip, but it is becoming such a good presentation that I could easily ignore that aspect... :)

Well done!!!

@krisgesling to keep consistency: could you add some global data about percentage of the minorities?
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 10 2016 10:20

And what means "No response" in the global data? You are not adding tool tip information about those... I understand what you are at to but it is not intuitive... it should probably included but as a different statistics. For example:
total interviews: 14k something
complete responses: 13k something (less the no responses)

And then legend about global info.

I think the global info would be much better if you try pie? Could you try a test?

@krisgesling ^
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 10 2016 10:20
Thanks! I was debating whether to keep the ethnic minorities in the tooltip and add a second bar to the bottom, or remove it altogether and keep the focus on gender. Will sleep on it for a while :)
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 10 2016 10:26

@krisgesling I believe that it is a lot of info, and it is a bit difficult to get information out of it... What I suggested in a previous was to think on your presentation more like infographics. In that way you guide the user into a story you want to tell.

Still, I think that you have done a VERY good job, really!!! The presentation is appealing, clean, and works perfectly... I wouldn't ask you much more, to be honest. And we are here to learn more about how work on that, so this is a very good step forward. :)

Take care!
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 10 2016 10:38
@krisgesling by the way: I am featuring in reddit right now! I guess it is still work in progress but it is "featurable". ;)
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 10 2016 10:41
I'm not a redditer (think I'm the only one on the planet haha) but being featured sounds pretty good
Put a pie graph on but it takes up a lot of room, ill keep playing though
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 10 2016 10:48
Take care!
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 10 2016 10:51
You too :)
Quincy Larson
@QuincyLarson
May 10 2016 20:04
@krisgesling your visualization looks (and works) amazingly! Great job. I've already shared it with @sarony
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 10 2016 23:37
Thanks @QuincyLarson :)
CamperBot
@camperbot
May 10 2016 23:37
krisgesling sends brownie points to @quincylarson :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:star2: 1133 | @quincylarson |http://www.freecodecamp.com/quincylarson