These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

May 2016
Eric Leung
@erictleung
May 13 2016 01:16
@jboxman the survey-data-dictionary.md doesn't actually have all the questions. I missed more than a couple questions when I created it. You can either check the survey-questions.txt document, or my soon-to-be updated version of the data dictionary for the questions.
Jason Boxman
@jboxman
May 13 2016 01:53
Okay, cool
Thanks!
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 13 2016 03:52
@akash-goswami welcome and thanks for the nice comment :)
I just want to clean up the code a bit and make the layout responsive before I push it to github. Hopefully I can get that done today
CamperBot
@camperbot
May 13 2016 03:52
krisgesling sends brownie points to @akash-goswami :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:warning: could not find receiver for akash-goswami
years_of_no_light
@akash-goswami
May 13 2016 03:58
@evaristoc Great. I am currently getting acquainted with the data. I will let the group know what question I would like to answer :-)
@krisgesling Awesome. :-)
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 08:11
@krisgesling can you please wait for a little bit? I have some great ideas about your visualization, but didn't find any time to right you about it. I will do it today!
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 13 2016 09:14
@SamAI-Software hey I'm always happy for more ideas, and will try to incorporate whatever I have time for.
@akash-goswami got it done, it's on github now if anyone wants to fork it for another map https://github.com/krisgesling/FCC-Gender-Map
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 13 2016 09:14
@krisgesling :+1:
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 09:15
@krisgesling cool! I'll try to write soon
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 13 2016 09:16
@SamAI-Software perhaps we should update your control page with a link to @krisgesling repo?
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 09:16
@evaristoc yeah, of course, will do that asap
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 13 2016 09:16
:+1: !
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 13 2016 09:21
(y)
haha thumbs up ... I gotta run, talk to you later
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 10:46

@krisgesling ok, lets get started :)
I've been working as UX designer for a few years and what I've learned during that time is that we should always tell users a story from A to Z, step by step, fulfilling their basic need/expectations first and only then taking care of special features.
Your gender visualization is great! But it doesn't look like a beginning of a journey, does it?

Just imagine that you land a website of FCC Survey 2016 for the first time and you never saw it before. What do you want to know first? Probably it's something like:

• Where all these respondents come from?
  • Is it a survey from USA only?
  • Does this survey include ppl from all other the world?
  • How many ppl (in percentage terms) are from Europe, Asia, Africa, your own country?

And your previous version was very good for that! Of course you will want to know about gender, too, but it's probably the next step.

So anyway we will need to have a country breakdown at least by CountryLive and Age. Somebody can do it from your forks, or you can do it yourself and that would be a great contribution to the project and also you will be featured even more (I'm pretty sure, that @evaristoc will take care of that :+1: )

If you decide to create it yourself, then I have one cool idea for you! Check out stackoverflow's survey the first Geography section has a map, but there are also 3 buttons, which can switch 3 different maps! That's a great feature, but a weak implementation, because all their 3 maps looks almost the same.
I suggest us to take this feature, but make a better implementation!
You can extent your visualization, so it will show us:

• Amount or respondents (by default)
  • Gender (switch with a button)
  • Age (switch with a button)

Until you make a decision, I have reserved Demographics section for you FreeCodeCamp/2016-new-coder-survey#41

Ayan Ghatak
@AyanGhatak
May 13 2016 10:48
@SamAI-Software :+1:
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 10:48
@AyanGhatak, wow, you read very fast, I'm still in the middle :)
Ayan Ghatak
@AyanGhatak
May 13 2016 10:49
:smile:
Kris Gesling
@krisgesling
May 13 2016 11:13
@SamAI-Software definitely can do that, great idea :)
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 11:16
@krisgesling cool, great, awesome! :smile: :+1:
evaristoc
@evaristoc
May 13 2016 13:11
@SamAI-Software I will try to do something with the following. Please which me luck!
FreeCodeCamp/2016-new-coder-survey#43
Sam Aiken
@SamAI-Software
May 13 2016 13:12
@evaristoc, we all wish you luck with that! :D