These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

Aug 2016
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Aug 10 2016 09:30

People

Update about the skale.me project

• I have contacted some people in this room that I think would be interested in going through the exercises. Other people have expressed their interest to participate. So far we are 6-7 people. There are other 2 pending. We could eventually make small groups, depending on the number of participants and the difficulty of the task. I might need your help with setting up some aspects of the exercise (I still don't know) but wait for updates.
  • I contacted the person of the video I mentioned in a previous message Aug 07 00:22. He said:

• skale is too far from being considered as an alternative to spark; so learning skale is not a guarantee for a career in Big Data right now...
    • there are some common places in the syntax/semantic used for Big Data manipulation, so it could be good as an introduction
    • it is good for exercises in Big Data

For what I have seen, it will be easier to install than Spark (npm install ...) BUT the syntax could be a bit tricky if you don't understand parallelism and distributed systems. I know some. The idea is to get into it together.

• The speaker of the video would be sharing his code for the exercise he presented (which he says is also included in the skale.me code). I still think we should try the example I suggested previously at Aug 08 22:03. It is also more "Free Code Camp" and will allow some conclusions about Free Code Camp activity. For what I have seen so far, the tool will be enough for the intended analyses. The only thing that I am not still sure about is the setup.

Keep you informed!

Brandon Smith
@smithbrandon
Aug 10 2016 16:55
anyone know how how i get the open-source api key
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Aug 10 2016 18:46
Hi @smithbrandon Quincy answered to someone who made the same question here:
Lightwaves
@Lightwaves
Aug 10 2016 19:15
This somewhat falls in the realm of data science so here's something interesting
outpatient ekg testing
a little device performs and sends ekg info to a phone through bluetooth.
That phone then sends the ekg info over gsm/lte to a remote diagnostic company so doctors can access it.
pretty nifty stuff
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Aug 10 2016 19:26
@Lightwaves Interesting! Must say it is not totally new, but here you are...
Lightwaves
Well not surprisingly complex
but it's interesting
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Aug 10 2016 20:53

People:

I was giving a thought again to the skale.me project, watched the video again and I became more convinced that we we should REALLY do this one. I tell you why I think so:

• nodejs is gaining momentum
  • ES6 and then ES7 are bringing additional capabilities that although still far from being like any other well established functional programming, it is getting close; functional programming seems to be the paradigm that characterises some important big data tools at the moment
  • attending meetings like nodeschool I have being said that the role of nodejs is currently for API points; however it seems to start getting deeply into the architecture
  • VERY Important: if above is true, then incorporating tools like skale.me as intermediate data management tool will become a natural step!!!
  • Important: nodejs people are working on a nodejs certification in cooperation with Linux => getting serious...
  • Important: nodejs people are working on re-organising the npm ecosystem (this is going to be tough though...) => getting serious...
  • Important: aparently organisations like RedHat are extensively using nodejs
  • companies like nearForm (I think related to the skale project) are making a living out of nodejs

I think skale.me won't take off immediately, but I am sure that if the owners of the project are persistent enough skale.me will fill some existing niches where scala/spark is too much for a project. If you are a JS/nodejs developer and the company you are working for requires certain level of data manipulation to a level closer to Big Data but without reaching that point (small/medium organisations), the implementation could make more sense than hiring a new sort of developers to do that job. In fact I would even think that an organisation like FCC could benefit from a project like skale.me if implementing a more data-driven approach, just to give you an example of organisation size.

However, if skale goes beyond of being-an-API point, then companies like airlines or banks could be those looking at projects like skale.me.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that skale.me is mostly pointing to a SaaS in cloud. Not sure how to interpret this...

For those more into ML, they are proposing some interesting syntaxes in pure JS. Far from beat other existing ones IMO, but you can always combine them (eg. Spark/python is already a well established project).

I think it is worth trying...

@Lightwaves :)
Brandon Smith
@smithbrandon
Aug 10 2016 21:44

@evaristoc Thanks. In that case someone should probably update the Git Repo for https://github.com/FreeCodeCamp/open-api . It says, "Getting an API key

All requests must have a API-key in the request. In this stage there is no online resource to generate an API-key. If you want an API key for your app, please ask for it on the FreeCodeCamp/DataScience Gitter. The API-key is specified in the query string as key=<value>." New to open source so not sure how to tell anyone. Thoughts?

CamperBot
@camperbot
Aug 10 2016 21:44
smithbrandon sends brownie points to @evaristoc :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:cookie: 303 | @evaristoc |http://www.freecodecamp.com/evaristoc
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Aug 10 2016 21:57

@smithbrandon Excellent Point!

Just open an issue at:

and suggest for that sentence to be updated.

Thanks to you!
thanks, @smithbrandon
CamperBot
@camperbot
Aug 10 2016 21:57
evaristoc sends brownie points to @smithbrandon :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:cookie: 274 | @smithbrandon |http://www.freecodecamp.com/smithbrandon