These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

Sep 2016
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 17 2016 13:54

People

Who ended the Spark training?

At the end I tried to pay for the verified certificate but my card didn't work and when I solved this with the Customer Services at edx it was already too late... But it was very interesting.

How did it go with you?

Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 17 2016 14:13
For the full series I got 99%/100%/100% and no certificates. Spark itself was a lot of fun to learn to use and work with, but I was having a rough time trying to work with Python lol. I've started learning Scala and it's been a bit tricky to gain any momentum, but I think I prefer it to Python.
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 17 2016 14:22
Also, since I spend my whole life on the hunt for good DS courses, University of Michigan is reopening it's Data Science Ethics course. I haven't taken it yet and the reviews I can see are for the Statistical Thinking for Data Science and Analytics course by Columbia, but it sounds like something people might be interested in learning :)
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 17 2016 14:57

Nice, @alicejiang1! I only completed the Data Analytics part and got 99%. So not as good as you in analytics!

I think that for Data Science Ethics I would prefer meetups: there is more discussion there than in a single course...

I just finished the Data Visualization part of the edX micro-degree for Data Science (also not verified)... At a very high tempo: videos at 2x of speed. Very good for someone like me who want a bit more about d3.js. I am currently more interested in making better viz incorporating some UX and interactivity, as well as storytelling using web capabilities. Additionally I feel like I got a better understanding of Scala-like code after learning JS the right way.

But where are you doing Scala? That it is a big stuff!!! Why are you finding that so difficult?

I will continue with high level languages for a little while but come back to Spark now and then. And I have still to try skale, that it is also importing some naming for operations from things like Spark/Scala. So a good play ground.

evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 17 2016 15:02
@alicejiang1 I am returning to kaggle. That is a very good place to learn what people are currently doing in DS. You don't even have to compete: just start by studying the solutions and the discussions. Let me know if you want to join? The only problem is: there is a lot of python/R there :)
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 17 2016 19:21
I tried starting with Scala at BigDataUniversity but they get right into DS programming and I prefer getting fundamentals down before getting practical. It's been a rough start because every single tutorial, and even the official documentation and stackoverflow answers compare Scala to Java ("Scala Unit is analogous to Java's Void") and I don't know Java. I am spending almost as much time learning Java as I am learning Scala. There have been a few tutorials that do that less than others so I'm finally figuring a few things out...
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 17 2016 19:26
I have been on kaggle, don't feel like it's a good place for me to learn anything since I'm still in that phase where I don't know what I don't know, so I don't know what questions to ask, and looking at code without some serious explanation won't help with that. Like I said, I don't know anything about the ethics course, but it's another question of do people know what they don't know? People can't ask questions and open discussions on subjects when they don't know what questions to ask, and it's not a discussion I have ever seen mentioned as being addressed at any organized meetup. I feel like classes are more of a guided discussion starter than a means to learn everything there is to know on a subject.
Xavier Sumba
@cuent
Sep 17 2016 19:54
Hello, I highly recommend the course taught by Evoke polytechnique federal de Lausanne in coursera. The courses are about Scala, and the teacher is Martin Odersky, who is the designer of Scala. I did the introductory course; I needed more time. Also, I just did the introductory course of Edx about Spark. So, is there a further step for the work with skale.me?
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 17 2016 21:14

@alicejiang1 Oh! :) what an issue, friend! I think I would go the same as you: I don't know any Java either.
About Ethic, I have been attending to several meetups about the Ethic of Data Science for a while. It is becoming an issue now that in the near future Europe, for example, is planning a new law for privacy protection. They are focused meetups, that's why.

@cuent I think I will have a look, although right now I feel like I should try not to do too many things... About skale, no really. I have been in contact with them and they released a new version and now they are in beta in cloud, which is exactly what they want. I am really interested but at the moment I am stuck with other small project. @cuent: would you have a preference about a topic you would like to go through? I am trying to think of something that could be of broad interest. It should be something that we can all discuss and go together. @darwinc and @luishendrix92 could be probably interested in knowing more about this project too. @darwinc was already checking the tool.

So far, I know the following:

• My interest is broad, but currently I am get an update in text mining techniques and social networks and I would have a preference for User Life Cycle analysis; I would like to take some into viz too
  • @darwinc is interested in IoT
  • @alicejiang1 is interested in Face Recognition (I will share something with you later, by the way...)
  • @Lightwaves is interested in IT networks (so graphs could be his topic...)
  • @ericleung is about Bioinformatics
  • @luishendrix92 has a general interest in DS topics at the moment
  • if I am not wrong, you are more into Eng?

We should find a technique and a problem that is common place for several areas, I guess. I could check what it is in the list of kaggle that could be interesting...

Xavier Sumba
@cuent
Sep 17 2016 22:20
@evaristoc awesome!! Such a great team, maybe we could practice in in some simple kaggle project yo start.
I am trying to find relations and build networks of collaboration between researchers. Right, I use semantic Web and clustering techniques. There a lot of challenges that I am not able to solve yet. But, I'm interested in any project in DS and ML. I could Lear a little mlbit more.