These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

21st
Sep 2016
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Sep 21 2016 00:05
If you've been in data science and are familiar with R, some might be familiar with Hadley Wickham. He just recently did a Quora Q&A here. Oh, and I guess he also helped write this book R for Data Science that I just found.
sapioit
@sapioit
Sep 21 2016 00:50
Had a course at uni, but didn't quite get it, so yeah. I mean, I know it would have been useful to have learned it, but I find it much easier to learn from videos, instead of from teachers... unless there's at most a handful of people and the teacher(s) is (are) in-tune with the students.
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 21 2016 07:19
@erictleung the link about Hadley... thanks!
CamperBot
@camperbot
Sep 21 2016 07:19
evaristoc sends brownie points to @erictleung :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
:cookie: 411 | @erictleung |http://www.freecodecamp.com/erictleung
Philip Durbin
@pdurbin
Sep 21 2016 10:40
the Hadleyverse
Hèlen Grives
@mesmoiron
Sep 21 2016 14:48
@sapioit When you have some understanding; it makes books much easier. Books thrive on imagination. However coding books tend to be very technical and lack most often everyday methaphores. Just the way you would explain something to a kid/or someone outside heavy domains. Next (I am also a beginner formal datascientist) as oppose to an intuitive natural datascientist. Yes people can do that the old fashion way and I am good at that. What I find more trickier with datascience is to come up with good, fair and ethical narratives of the thing you are researching. Whatever the topic, Netflix clients, Ebay shoppers or economics, public publicies etc. So datascience is also about complexity and how to model that. I could go on philosophical about that. But it is very interesting. My start was at Coursera.
sapioit
@sapioit
Sep 21 2016 15:02

@sapioit WhenI could go on philosophical about that. But it is very interesting. My start was at Coursera.

Feel free to do that. An extra point of view won't hurt (me)...

Aldnoah
@Aldnoah
Sep 21 2016 17:46
Hey, I'm considering getting into Data Science as a career path. I've got a physics masters (with little statistics, programming experience). The more I read about the types of positions, the more worried I get about this decision. I'm worried that I'm not 'curious' enough, which seems to be a main theme of the big data course I'm taking. Data Scientists here, what sort of positions do you currently hold and what kind of data do you usually work with? If I were to get into data science I would have to be interested in the result of the analysis...
Any help, recommendations, feedback or general guidance would really be greatly appreciated..
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 21 2016 20:16

@Aldnoah I highly recommend you to go to meetups. I also sometimes post through this channel information about meetups I have attended. Probably something that might interest you?

There are usually 2 careers that are usually confused with Data Science. Data Science itself and Data Engineering. The second one is more about coding and "less curious" regarding what some data could tell, but still requires some level of curiosity about how to solve some data collection problem.

evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 21 2016 20:21
@sapioit it seems that you should go to meetups too. There are a few interesting one. @alicejiang1 posted here not long ago a stream about a meetup (Boston?) where they were talking about DS from the business side point of view. VEEERRY interesting. Demystified some pre-conceptions about what a DS should do and what should be aware of.
@Aldnoah maybe also for you? ^^^^
@mesmoiron Interesting... Perhaps you would like to work more on the visualization part?
@pdurbin :)
Philip Durbin
@pdurbin
Sep 21 2016 20:44
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 21 2016 20:59

For those above:
What is Data Science? A business perspective

There is more commented in this room about the topic, search by "business" to visit some of the previous posts.

Aldnoah
@Aldnoah
Sep 21 2016 21:00
@evaristoc Thanks I'll take a look. I don't think I'll be able to goto any meet ups.. seeing as though I'm in Canada.
CamperBot
@camperbot
Sep 21 2016 21:00
:cookie: 313 | @evaristoc |http://www.freecodecamp.com/evaristoc
aldnoah sends brownie points to @evaristoc :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Sep 21 2016 21:00
Sorry, @Aldnoah: this is the link to the video in youtube:
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 21 2016 21:23
@evaristoc (saint Louis ;P)
sapioit
@sapioit
Sep 21 2016 21:35

Well, I'm currently a nearly broke drop-out from Computer Science, so I might have to wait a few months... but I'd watch the recordings of some talks...

Thanks!

sapioit
@sapioit
Sep 21 2016 23:05
I can't listen to that, my ears hurt... also, no chance to understand anything at x2...