These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

22nd
Jan 2018
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Jan 22 2018 03:34 UTC
The lecture I flew out to Boston to see by Alberto Cairo is being live-streamed this Thursday! The examples are political but I promise that his presentation overall does not favor any political group, it's absolutely worth the time, particularly for anyone who's not especially advanced in data visualization
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Jan 22 2018 04:35 UTC
@becausealice2 thanks for sharing!
CamperBot
@camperbot
Jan 22 2018 04:35 UTC
erictleung sends brownie points to @becausealice2 :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
api offline
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Jan 22 2018 04:40 UTC
From my time being here, there's lots of questions about whether one should get a degree in "data science|machine learning|deep learning|etc". Here's some advice on an alternative way to prove your knowledge, through blogging. Not anything novel, but it's a good reminder and will help you develop a skill. Some arguments from the article.
  • It’s like a resume, only better. I know of a few people who have had blog posts lead to job offers!
  • Helps you learn. Organizing knowledge always helps me synthesize my own ideas. One of the tests of whether you understand something is whether you can explain it to someone else. A blog post is a great way to do that.
  • I’ve gotten invitations to conferences and invitations to speak from my blog posts. I was invited to the TensorFlow Dev Summit (which was awesome!) for writing a blog post about how I don’t like TensorFlow.
  • Meet new people. I’ve met several people who have responded to blog posts I wrote.
  • Saves time. Any time you answer a question multiple times through email, you should turn it into a blog post, which makes it easier for you to share the next time someone asks.
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Jan 22 2018 07:37 UTC
@evaristoc I second that use of the tidyverse framework. It definitely has a more unified framework of dealing with data and a lot of R packages, not formally associated with the project have adopted these principles as well in order to "play well" with the core tidyverse packages. The book itself http://r4ds.had.co.nz/ is a great resource as well.
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Jan 22 2018 08:02 UTC

@erictleung @becausealice2 thanks for sharing! Excellent resources.

And if @erictleung supports tidyverse, it should be a good one :) .

CamperBot
@camperbot
Jan 22 2018 08:02 UTC
api offline
:cookie: 567 | @erictleung |http://www.freecodecamp.org/erictleung
evaristoc sends brownie points to @erictleung and @becausealice2 :sparkles: :thumbsup: :sparkles:
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Jan 22 2018 09:09 UTC
Julia Silge is a big fan of tidyverse.
Nice woman, btw. Had a nice chat with her about design being undervalued.
I found an older server I started in Node.js for our old campsite map project @evaristoc from right after they moved the list from the github wiki to FCC forums
let app = require('express')(),
      request = require('request')

const url = 'https://forum.freecodecamp.com/t/19574.json?page=1'
let response_object = {}

app.get('/', (req, res) => {

request(url, (error, response, body) => {
      if(!error && response.statusCode == 200){
          response_object.stream = JSON.parse(body)['post_stream']['stream']
          response_object.posts = JSON.parse(body)['post_stream']['posts']
      }
        res.send(response_object)
    })
})

app.listen(3000)
console.log("listening on port 3000")
oh man. Those tabs, tho
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Jan 22 2018 11:28 UTC

@becausealice2 Hey!!! Taking the dust out from old stuff? A nostalgic attack? :)

Joke! Great! Nice express.js stuff. I would like to come back to it in the near future for sure...

Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Jan 22 2018 11:30 UTC
@evaristoc Digging through all my personal files. Considering doing a reset and reinstalling Windows, just want to see what I need to save that's not already up in a repo somewhere before I do.
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Jan 22 2018 12:27 UTC
:+1: ! Nice you found it for sure.
evaristoc
@evaristoc
Jan 22 2018 22:48 UTC
@becausealice2 how is the colorpleth?