These are chat archives for FreeCodeCamp/DataScience

Sep 2018
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Sep 15 2018 05:18 UTC
@ram1991 welcome, can you explain what you mean? "Calculate params"? Like find out what params were used? Or how to make params in each layer to improve your analysis?
@becausealice2 I continually struggle with fully understanding eigen things. Which part of the notebook is confusing? Maybe we can all struggle together :smiley:
Oh I assumed that it was in Python because it is a .ipynb, but it's in R! Maybe I can just read the code to understand as well haha.
Josh Goldberg
@GoldbergData
Sep 15 2018 05:38 UTC
Which notebook?
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Sep 15 2018 07:01 UTC

@GoldbergData in @becausealice2's link above

I'm trying to work through the Python version of this Notebook and once they start talking eigenvalues and eigenvectors they lose me, the videos are even less clear, and the khan academy videos assume a stronger foundation in linear algebra than I have time to build at the moment lol

Eric Leung
@erictleung
Sep 15 2018 07:27 UTC
Side note, so I'm a pretty heavy R user, but can still program in Python if needed. This fall, I'll be helping teach a Python course (Lol coming from a predominantly R guy) and I'm getting back into Python programming. But I'm really excited to actually grok pandas and matplotlib. Those two never really clicked for me when I first used them. I'll try to share any helpful tips or insight along the way and hope they are useful to others.
Eric Leung
@erictleung
Sep 15 2018 07:34 UTC
@becausealice2 I can't remember if anyone's shared this in here, but have you seen the relatively new [r2d3]https://rstudio.github.io/r2d3/index.html) R package? The tagline is "R Interface to D3 Visualizations." Your D3 in RMarkdown report reminded me of this package.
Josh Goldberg
@GoldbergData
Sep 15 2018 15:04 UTC
What’s your handle? Gitter’s @ can’t find you Eric :/. I’m in the same boat. Predominantly R. I like python for programming tasks but not necessarily data analysis. Maybe that will change in the future.
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 15 2018 16:45 UTC
@erictleung I haven't followed D3 or R much since I made that Medium article, if I'm honest. Life keeps trying to pull me back to vidualization and I've been actively resisting it, though I am also wondering if I should just let it happen, at least for now lol
@erictleung The whole concept of eigen things confuses me, if I'm honest. I get that the eigenvalue is a scalar multiplied by the identity matrix multiplied by the eigen vector, but why?
what makes eigen things different from just regular things?
@erictleung If you want to go through the notebook in Python they have it on their GitHub, it's just packaged as a zip I didn't know if anyone wanted to download it so I went with the R one so you could look at it in your browser
Josh Goldberg
@GoldbergData
Sep 15 2018 17:00 UTC
@becausealice2 let’s hash out this eigen thing. Down for a discussion? @erictleung
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 15 2018 17:07 UTC
I tried watching the 3blue1brown video but it didn't make sense so I tried to start at the beginning of the linear algebra playlist and a lot of it didn't make sense in general, even the stuff I already know
so I'm back to khanacademy which is slow moving but, historically, has had good explanations lol
Josh Goldberg
@GoldbergData
Sep 15 2018 17:08 UTC
Forget videos. Let’s discuss it like students 😊
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 15 2018 17:16 UTC
I'm up for that :D
Alice Jiang
@becausealice2
Sep 15 2018 17:26 UTC
Off topic, but I was scrolling through my old tweets looking for something and found this super cute visualization. I don't know if I've shared it here before, but it deserves to be seen