These are chat archives for IndySockets/Indy

Oct 2017
DelphiWorlds
@DelphiWorlds
Oct 16 2017 20:08
@rlebeau I'm here if you have any insights into my problem that I've posted about in delphi.internet.winsock
Remy Lebeau
@rlebeau
Oct 16 2017 21:27
@DelphiWorlds what happens if you bind the client to just 0.0.0.0 while listening, instead of to specific IPs? And what exactly is in your OnIPMCastRead event handler?
@DelphiWorlds I don't have a multi-address network to test with. I suppose I can set up something using VMs, but that will take time I don't really have
DelphiWorlds
@DelphiWorlds
Oct 16 2017 22:59
Log.d('Received from: %s on %s:%d - %s', [ABinding.PeerIP, ABinding.IP, ABinding.Port, BytesToString(AData)]);
is in the OnIPMCastRead event
fair enough regarding the multi-address network..
I'm not in front of the computer in question at the moment, however from memory binding the client to just 0.0.0.0 doesn't receive the packets sent on the other networks that it is connected to
I'd have to check this evening
DelphiWorlds
@DelphiWorlds
Oct 16 2017 23:10
ok.. scratch that 2nd last comment.. of course the broadcast is sent to a group, not an address
for some reason or another, I thought I had needed to listen on each address.. perhaps not?
there was still some problem though.. which I can't check until tonight
Remy Lebeau
@rlebeau
Oct 16 2017 23:17
@DelphiWorlds some interesting reading on https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12681097/, particularly this answer: https://stackoverflow.com/a/23718680/65863 I know Indy doesn't do a very good job when it comes to binding to devices instead of IPs, and binding multicast to interfaces/devices
DelphiWorlds
@DelphiWorlds
Oct 16 2017 23:20
thanks... digesting that all now
Remy Lebeau
@rlebeau
Oct 16 2017 23:23
@DelphiWorlds you might need to drop down to the socket API layer directly (socket(), bind(), setsockopt(), sendto(), recvfrom(), etc - You can use Indy's TIdStack wrappers for alot of that) and get multicasting working the way you want, then we can work on translating it to higher level Indy equivilents
DelphiWorlds