These are chat archives for MontCode/GeneralChat

16th
May 2016
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 03:31
yay!
im done!
that was really a pain in the ass.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 03:49
yay! share?
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 03:51
:worried:
the quote thingies are what took me forever.
and its non reponsive.
and ugly.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 05:52
What you got is pretty fun! I like!
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 14:01
Thanks lil! hey what's the deal with the video chat? Are we using twitch?
I
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 14:10
I updated that post. I’m making a webpage that will combine the video from google Hangouts on Air and gitter chat.
That is what I’m doing next after I’ve had a chance to caffinate. Couldn’t sleep @_@;
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 15:19
cool page Rob, you've done so much more with the css and js than I have. I'm thinking I may have to step it up a bit.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 16:09
I have a quick and dirty webpage with a link to the streaming video and gitter on it. It may not be the prettiest (yet) but it'll do. It'll do.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:09
sounds good
do you have a second Lily?
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 16:09
sure
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:11
I'm trying to lighten up my background image using opacity but because it's under a body class it lightens everything, if I try to use anything but body it removes the image completely. Is there a way to do this?
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 16:13
same codepen? I'll look now.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:13
yep
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 16:25
Yeah. Unfortunately you can't apply an opacity to a css background image. I would do something like this: http://codepen.io/lilyheart/pen/MydaQo
Since you are using bootstrap, you can wrap your entire page in a div with the "container" class. If you don't like the margins you can change container to container-fluid
Then you can add an rgba to the background of the container (or container-fluid) div.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:28
so like a giant transbox, was really hoping to avoid that just not a fan of the look. Might try something else completely, when I had looked up opacity the example was being used on a background image so I was under the impression I could but I'll just go with a different background and use the flag for my buttons
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 16:30
You may need to adjust the colors and alpha channel, but you should be able to get something nearly identical. What example did you see? Maybe I can parse out what they did for you.
I switched the container to fluid on the pen if you want to see how that looks. I also lightened the alpha channel.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:36
looks like I was wrong anyway, the link I clicked was to css-tricks and I thought they were doing a background but it turns out that it's an image in the background but not a background image
it's not bad, just not quite what I'm trying to get.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:46
I'm missing one part but I think I figured out how to do what I want to do. once I get this last part I'll post it
trying to use width: 100%; height: 100%; in my css again not working with %
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 16:51
width/height 100% takes up 100% of whatever the parent element is. Check the parent and see what it's doing.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 16:52
I have it set as a class that i'm calling with a <div> and the only thing in it is that flag image
oh well, gotta run to the bank, I think I'm gonna redo the whole thing when I get back.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 17:00
Here is mine pen with the image nearly identical to the how it looks like your opacity setting but using the div method from before. http://codepen.io/lilyheart/pen/MydaQo
Your setting is saying keep 30% of the image intact and for the remaining 70% bleedthrough whatever is behind (which happens to be white from the body)
My pen is saying keep 70% of the white and for the remaining 30% grab the image behind it.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 17:09
Not bad i like that better than the last one
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 17:45
@lantech19446 I'm diggin' that British flag background repeated like that. @Lilyheart can you share how you're going to make the chat site. I'm super curious. iframe or is there an api?? i really hope i can free up for the meet up.
p.s im going to follow you guys on codePen
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 17:47
@rmaylie9560 thanks man, I'm trying to really conjure up the good ol' days of punk. Been listening to nevermind the bullocks the whole time. Didn't know you could follow people lol
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:02
haha, just dont throw your computer across the room. mosh pits and computers lead to... well... angrier mosh pits???
its perpetual...
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:04
yes, the modern techno punk is in fact the first verifiable perpetual motion machine.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:08
@rmaylie9560 iframe. No need to reinvent the wheel.
The page is crazy ugly right now. Literally just two iframes with a little js to size them for responsiveness (and even that isn't great, better than none, but meh)
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:24
youre filling a need. who cares if it looks pretty as long as it does cool stuff.
such as...
making a customized chat site tailored to the needs of the group.
although, you should consider making it obnoxiously bad.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:27
Lulz
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:27
like bright yellow with a picture of a donkey that jumps up and down every time someone hits send
own it.
or rainbow :shipit:
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:28
Is that like a warning to remind people to not be a donkey?
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:29
absolutely.
"dont be an ass"
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:29
:+1:
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:29
yep we should all be elephants
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:29
yes!!!!
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:30
No elephants in the room.
Unless pink
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:32
agreed.
loves me some pink ele's.
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:33
Check it PM on gitter
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:34
dude. that is badass.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:35
awesome
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:36
you test the stream yet?
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:38
At 1 a.m. xD
It's just a google Hangout on Air which I did like 10 times yesterday trying different things.
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:40
sweeeeet...
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:41
hey Rob check out the site now lol
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:44
niiiiiiiiice johnny! are you making a row of them?
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:44
a row of songs? I probably could but I set that one to autoplay so I'd have a bunch of issues if someone clicks on another one lol
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:47
hmm... good point. you could it with some jquery.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:47
I could override autoplay with jquery?
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:49
yup
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:50
how would i do something like that?
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:51
ask google.
and there's the jquery docs.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:52
I'm still trying to get my css to align the video, I can't do it inline either for some reason
not working even if I setup a class to align it and call it in a div
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:54
.iframe {
float: left;
}
in the same div
@Lilyheart how would you do that in bootstrap?
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:55
oi ok, my google answer was wrong lol. It said inline was align="middle" css was align: middle;
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:55
that might work too...
float will stack anything in that div, but is collapsible.
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:57
nope tried it every way I could imagine, float worked perfectly. I wonder if these embeds count as my external link
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 18:58
What are you trying to align the video to?
Robert Maylie
@rmaylie9560
May 16 2016 18:59
dooooo we need extern al links? :worried:
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 18:59
was trying to position it on the page, but I think I'm going to go with Rob's idea of having a bunch of them in a line so I'll have to use it to position each one next to each other.
yep #5 on the assignment
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 19:00
In that case look up bootstrap and the grid method.
your external link can always just be a wikipedia link somewhere
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 19:03
true
Jonathan Herman
@lantech19446
May 16 2016 19:10
gotta put it down for a little and pay some bills now
Lily Romano
@Lilyheart
May 16 2016 19:51
Okay, our chat page for tomorrow is now technically mobile responsive. I need to finish up the presentation.