These are chat archives for PX4/Hardware

Jul 2016
Deon Blaauw
@deonblaauw
Jul 07 2016 07:51
Hi guys. I need to drive 8 ESCs and 4 servos. Can the current PixHawk autopilot do this? I see that it has 14 PWM channels, but I'm not sure if they can all be configured to be outputs or not?
Lorenz Meier
@LorenzMeier
Jul 07 2016 08:08
Of course it can
Deon Blaauw
@deonblaauw
Jul 07 2016 09:06
@LorenzMeier Thank you for the reply. Will look into it then.
Morten Olsen Lysgaard
@molysgaard
Jul 07 2016 15:36
@kd0aij and @pkocmoud: (I am assuming @kd0aij were referring to me in his question) I would like to make my own version of the pixracer and as a start I would like to produce some PCBs of R14 on some of the low volume manufacturers (eg. pcb-pool), order the components my self and using a stencil and solder paste and a reflow make my own pixracer. To do this I would need the Altium Designer files.
Mark Whitehorn
@kd0aij
Jul 07 2016 15:38
Unless you plan to mass produce them, it would be much cheaper for you to buy them from AUAV
Morten Olsen Lysgaard
@molysgaard
Jul 07 2016 15:40
@kd0aij and @pkocmoud: I don't want to do this to save money, but to tinker and learn as I go.
Mark Whitehorn
@kd0aij
Jul 07 2016 15:41
if learning is the goal, then do the PCB layout yourself too :)
Morten Olsen Lysgaard
@molysgaard
Jul 07 2016 15:48
@kd0aij and @pkocmoud: Well, as you are fully aware of, laying out MEMS sensors etc. is not trivial, I would love to start off with something that works, and then be able to tinker away instead of first having to do all the groundwork.
Mark Whitehorn
@kd0aij
Jul 07 2016 15:54
I used Eagle to experiment with a high-speed switching regulator layout. What I learned was that you should always use the chip manufacturer's recommended layout if you want things like that to work. I've never owned expensive tools like Altium though, but I did use Mentor Graphics tools when I worked at Lockheed. But layout is non-critical for most of the components in an autopilot.
Because most of the sensors use integrated ADCs