These are chat archives for Sensorica/valuenetwork

12th
Dec 2015
Bob Haugen
@bhaugen
Dec 12 2015 13:22
@mfrangos @christroutner did you have your meeting? Make any interesting decisions?
Maria Frangos
@mfrangos
Dec 12 2015 13:36
@bhaugen I am going to send a summary but key things were: 1) using bootstrap to facilitate front end development; 2) Creating a survey to learn how individual Sensorica members use the NRP and how they would want to use it (as a first step, not as a replacement for more in-depth analysis); 3) mocking up the project page because it would be interesting to get feedback on that. I was planning on expanding on all these points in an email later today.
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 14:13
@mfrangos @christroutner very cool. FYI, we do use bootstrap extensively now, but we are still on 2.3 or something like that, so upgrading will need to fit into the plans somehow.
project page will be very interesting, great choice!
Bob Haugen
@bhaugen
Dec 12 2015 14:17
@christroutner we've had a lot of requests for different graphs on the project page. For example, valnet/valuenetwork#451
I think the best way to satisfy those desires would be to have user-definable visualizations, but that's a tall order.
I would now know how to implement it.
Got any ideas?
Chris Troutner
@christroutner
Dec 12 2015 14:40
I was telling @mfrangos in the conversation last night that there are a bunch of Bootstrap themes on ThemeForrest and TemplateMonster for control panels, pie charts, etc. I can also roll out animated front end graphs using the AmCharts library.
I'm also going to try an summarize my thoughts from last nights conversation and send it out as an email later today. Look for that.
Bob Haugen
@bhaugen
Dec 12 2015 14:41
@christroutner - cool!
Good thing we got you working on this.
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 14:46
@mfrangos @christroutner awesome both of you, I am really excited you have this underway!!!
Another source of input for project page is what Tibi has done in the google website as an entry point for a project. (Just one source of many of course, but this is what he felt was needed in practice. Not pushing you in that direction, just making sure you are aware.)
Looking forward to your emails!
Maria Frangos
@mfrangos
Dec 12 2015 14:52
Here's an idea... What if we keep a kind of log on Google drive of the entire process. So instead of emails that get easily buried, we could put all our thoughts and meeting synopsis, action items in a document and send out a link (via email) informing everyone. It would be great to see how this evolves over time. I'm not suggesting that we don't email anymore but for stuff like this, it could be valuable.
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 14:53
@mfrangos OK cool.
Bob Haugen
@bhaugen
Dec 12 2015 14:54
Great idea! We've been doing something like that in https://github.com/valueflows/valueflows/tree/master/minutes
Not exactly the same thing, I think a log of ideas and action items etc. would be even better.
One guy we know kept like labnotes in a github file.
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 14:57
I'm fine with whatever venue Maria and Chris like! And no problem experimenting, we can move text later. Best to get going with what is simplest?
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 16:16
@mfrangos @christroutner I realized that my bootstrap comment might be completely irrelevant, sorry about that. You aren't using our UI, duh. On the other hand, @bhaugen and I were just discussing that if we want to implement individual pages into the existing app, we will have to figure out some architectural questions on that between how Chris's stuff works and how our existing nav works, how much of that needs replacing up front, etc.... probably no rush on that? Whenever Chris needs to start thinking about it....
Chris Troutner
@christroutner
Dec 12 2015 16:19
I like the idea of capturing the information in some kind of publicly viewable way, so that the information doesn't get buried in emails. A Google Doc is fine. I think capturing the information via GitHub so that the information travels along through time with the repository would be better. I'm not exactly sure what the best way to do that would be. Either way works for me though.
Yes, @fosterlynn , you beat me to the punch. After I summarize my thoughts on the conversation last night, I was going to propse a Skype session with you and @bhaugen for some time in the next week or two where we can hash out some of the nuts and bolts of how we'd go about creating an API and mating it with a front end.
Bob Haugen
@bhaugen
Dec 12 2015 16:25
@christroutner I'm looking thru search results for angular django. Lotta stuff out there. Needs to be weeded. Will do before we talk.
Maria Frangos
@mfrangos
Dec 12 2015 16:26
Let's go with documenting the process in GitHub then. @Lynn @bhaugen , any ideas about where we should do this? I'm not very familiar with GitHub but really want to start using it more.
Bob Haugen
@bhaugen
Dec 12 2015 16:28
For valueflows, somebody who was committing from their clone created a directory. Then, any member can create and edit files in place in that directory. Don't need to be pushing from a clone on your computer, which would slow you down a lot.
Something like that might also work for design files, but you might need to push from a clone for those.
Maybe somebody can do more github research. I know they want to support a lot more file types.
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 16:40
Re. github, can we just use the wiki to summarize discussions?
Maria Frangos
@mfrangos
Dec 12 2015 16:41
There's a wiki in GitHub? Excuse me if it's a silly question ;)
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 16:41
@mfrangos my ping is @fosterlynn (although the Lynn you pinged has a pretty cool pic! :)
kinda blank right now
Maria Frangos
@mfrangos
Dec 12 2015 16:56
Oops! How can I fix that? I Selected her by accident
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 16:56
Ha, don't worry about it
(trouble with gitter, can't fix anything!)
she'll be fine if she gets it, which i don't know if she will
TiberiusB
@TiberiusB
Dec 12 2015 18:42
Link to process to log time http://nrp.sensorica.co/accounting/agent/336/ This is not a project in itself. See affiliation on the page
TiberiusB
@TiberiusB
Dec 12 2015 19:01
I started a curation of this discussion https://github.com/Sensorica/valuenetwork/wiki as I was trying to get my updates, but can't finish it. I'll get back to it later, or of you get to it, feel free to complete.
Chris Troutner
@christroutner
Dec 12 2015 19:47
Wow, that's a lot of info. I'll have to read through the wiki updates. I like the use of the wiki for documentation purposes like the stuff that's on their now. I took @bhaugen 's suggestion and figured out that we can add and edit files right from the GitHub website. I created the docs/dev-notes directory (https://github.com/Sensorica/valuenetwork/tree/master/docs/dev-notes) where we can upload random documentation. I just created a test file called 121215.txt. @mfrangos can you see if you can edit this file?
When you click the file link, it will open the text file in the web browser. There is a pencil icon on the right side. Click that to edit the file.
I'm planning to create text files and copy the contents of email discussions into them here. That way we have some sort of record of our dev discussions that travel along with the repository. Unless anyone has a better suggestion?
Maria Frangos
@mfrangos
Dec 12 2015 19:54
I'll take a look tomorrow. I've got some holiday social stuff happening today.
@christroutner Thanks for doing that. I agree that we should have dev notes that travel along with the repository
Lynn Foster
@fosterlynn
Dec 12 2015 21:07
No better suggestions, sounds great!