These are chat archives for Spring-Chobby/Chobby

Aug 2016
ForbodingAngel
@ForbodingAngel
Aug 12 2016 00:59
@gajop @GoogleFrog @Anarchid We should probably decide what we want shapes to look like for ranks, and figure out the whole thing once and for all. The lobby resizes rank icons to 16x16 with antialiasing, meaning that there isn't much room for being super fancy.
Gajo Petrovic
@gajop
Aug 12 2016 02:22
well i think it's not too difficult, and we've been going in the right direction recently; i doubt we'll have a "final" design, at least not before it gets released in the public and we get some additional feedback
but... here's what i think: we should separate ranks into groups, with the number of groups still undecided
groups should be different by shape and color, and each group should have the same number of ranks (e.g. 5)
the rank progression in the groups should be done in the same way, by increasing the number of items and potentially adding some flavor
additionally it's possible to have the first/final rank of the group have something extra to denote the top group rank, but i'd still keep the progression obvious by adding that extra item
Gajo Petrovic
@gajop
Aug 12 2016 02:28
i still think http://r6s.co/public/ranks.png is a good example, and i like copper and gold there in particular; (it shows how you don't have to add the same items to clarify rank increase)
and platinum->diamond gives a nice idea how you can denote the final rank of a group by still being in the same style (this can be improved however)
and with regards to military insignias as you keep bringing them up... i think they're good for motivation but shouldn't be something we follow necessarily. games/computers are rather different from real-world insignia on clothes
ForbodingAngel
@ForbodingAngel
Aug 12 2016 02:43
@gajop, those examples don't work, we don't have that kind of resolution to work with. Everything you want to accomplish has to happen within 16x16
that said maybe part of that is possible
except nopt the same way
I can try one of the more complicated ones and see what it looks like tho
Oh, the insignias don't matter to me
I was just using the military ones as a basis of why I was using those
Those examples might work. I'll try
As far as ranking up goes, dude we need some fanfare when ti happens. Just use an overlay windo and play a sound when a player ranks up, nothing too complicated. Make them feel like they accomplished something
you won't remmebr this but I do...
back when AA was huge, it was a big deal to rank up in tasclient
We all knew the ranks really didn't mean jack squat, but it kept a lot of us playing, because it mattered. Same thing here
they might not matter in a practical sense, but they matter on a personal level. Even if most of us have been around and are too curmudgeonly to admit it :-)
ForbodingAngel
@ForbodingAngel
Aug 12 2016 02:49
The lobbies after tasclient didn't really use ranks much or relegated them to the backburner. In tasc they were relatively prominent
@gajop, is there any way that we could get 32x32 for ranks next to player names? It would help a lot. Perhaps space the player names out a bit more vertically? It's only 16 pixels so not THAT big of a deal, course when you multiply 16 by number of players listed. But it might have the side effect of making the player list more easy to read
Gajo Petrovic
@gajop
Aug 12 2016 03:05
yeah i agree about the popup; it should also be applied for games
i'd rather not change playername spacing to suite ranks, do rank images have to be a multiple of 2?
ForbodingAngel
@ForbodingAngel
Aug 12 2016 03:06
I like what you want to do for ranks, I just don't think that it is realistically doable in a 16x16. Too much image info is lost. I was cheating antialias when I did them as line art. Kind of a low tech solution to the issue
No, I'm saying 16x16 but it's actually 15x15 or some crap
I can't seem to figure out what the exact size is
I spent some time trying to deduce it with a white block, but it seemed to vary a little bit
I dunno if that's my imagination
Gajo Petrovic
@gajop
Aug 12 2016 03:07
you could also create two ranks, a lowres and highres version, with the highres being visible on rankup and tooltip, have fun :D
ForbodingAngel
@ForbodingAngel
Aug 12 2016 03:07
Well actually
with these last ones
ion effect,t aht's what I did... sort of
because the sauce is 128x128, and I used a bicubic resizer to make them look decent when scaled down
I'm sorry
resharper*
Gajo Petrovic
@gajop
Aug 12 2016 03:08
i'm saying you could actually have different images for small/large ranks
ForbodingAngel
@ForbodingAngel
Aug 12 2016 03:09
Yeah, the thought occurred to me, and that is what would have to happen anyway
I don't really see a way around it
The upside is that on the larger ones I can apply texture overlays and crap
to give them some personality
Ok how about a compromise...
How about on the player info popup when you mouseover, the rank images be larger? Hmm I dunno if that makes sense.
I do think that each player should have his/her own "player page" popup overlay if possible. Perhaps the player could define extra info for themselves? Maybe grab player info form replay site/elo/trueskill/other stuff? I'm spitballing, but It seems like a nice idea to me
Gajo Petrovic
@gajop
Aug 12 2016 03:29

that's what i said

popup ranks could also be animated heavily
i'm really tempted to go and play with shaders for a bit to relax xP
i also think player pages should belong to the lobby but i think the reality is part of it will be done on the ZK site for now
there's very little information available from the lobby server