These are chat archives for ThoughtWorksInc/Binding.scala

Jan 2017
Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 15:45
Hi. So I discovered this library and it looks pretty cool, however, I'm wondering about using the XML literals. Aren't they deprecated / planned to be removed in future versions of Scala/Dotty?
杨博 (Yang Bo)
@Atry
Jan 18 2017 15:55
I never heard about that.
@vaclavsvejcar , Google is a good tool that you may want to use.
Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 16:04
@Atry for example mentioned here: http://www.slideshare.net/Odersky/scala-evolution/40-Scala_Don_GiovanniConcentrates_on_the and the original Github Dotty page referenced that (as can be seen in this forked version on top of the Readme: https://github.com/soc/dotty), but I though this feature is planned to me removed at least in Dotty as a part of syntax cleanup and replaced with some kind of XML interpolation.
I know that dotty is probably distant future but was curious about that
杨博 (Yang Bo)
@Atry
Jan 18 2017 16:13

Dotty is a platform to try out new language concepts and compiler technologies for Scala. The focus is mainly on simplification.

If I understand correctly, Scala 3 = core fundamental constructors (Dotty) + other language features

Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 16:14
Ok, you're maybe right, I was just worried that they plan to completely drop them, as mentioned on Dotty homepage (http://dotty.epfl.ch) - "We remove extraneous syntax (e.g. no XML literals), and try to boil down Scala’s types into a smaller set of more fundamental constructors. "
杨博 (Yang Bo)
@Atry
Jan 18 2017 16:15
In fact, scala-xml have not supported Scala.js. The community is trying to port it to Scala.js. See scala/scala-xml#109
FYI, Binding.scala does not use scala-xml at runtime.
Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 16:17
thanks for the link, looks cool. Anyway, Binding.scala looks like something I was looking for, I was experimenting with Li Haoyi's Scala.rx and Scalatags, but I prefer the XML syntax as used in Binding.scala
杨博 (Yang Bo)
@Atry
Jan 18 2017 16:20
Enjoy it!
Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 16:25
The only thing that makes working with Binding.scala in IntelliJ Idea harder is that Idea doesn't seem to understand the types of XML syntax properly (generally Idea seems to have troubles with macro-powered code often). I'll look if there is a bug report on this and if not, I'll create one
杨博 (Yang Bo)
@Atry
Jan 18 2017 16:26
Yes there is
Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 16:27
So I hope they'll fix this soon, its kinda unpleasant. I guess there is no workaround for Idea now, right?
杨博 (Yang Bo)
@Atry
Jan 18 2017 16:28
I plan to create a new annotation @html to replace @dom, which hacks less types, thus produces less red mark in IntelliJ IDEA.
See https://www.reddit.com/r/scala/comments/5oo6x0/desktop_gui_and_custom_tags_in_bindingscala/?st=iy35ovfw&sh=c2b9ef9e
Vaclav Svejcar
@vaclavsvejcar
Jan 18 2017 16:30
cool :thumbsup:
btw do you have the link of that bug report? I can't find it right now, I'd like to upvote it