These are chat archives for WCCCEDU/VB-CPT242-Public

1st
Oct 2015
Sharon R. Tinkey
@srtinkey
Oct 01 2015 14:45
Well, I just looked at some of the grades Laura finally did. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not happy about the test. There were at least 3 questions about string manipulation techniques that weren't in the chapter. I did find them later in Lesson A Exercises but who reads the exercises that aren't assigned? And I certainly don't expect to find more information I need to read about in them.
I've emailed her but I don't know what good that will do. I think we should all get credit for the questions pertaining to the stuff that wasn't presented in the chapter.
One more question on the test that didn't make any sense was the one about shortcut keys on the EDIT menu.
I also wonder if we all get the same questions. They may not be presented in the same order but are they the same questions?
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 15:50
I was displeased as well, I do not recall the questions as well as you, but I certainly remember having a few WTF moments. She has in the past been a very fair grader, I know she goes over anything marker wrong, but that test was not the norm.
Katrina Siffrinn
@Katsiff
Oct 01 2015 16:10
I wasn't very happy either. I had a lot going on at the time but I knew as I was reading through the test that I couldn't be that far out of touch. Besides that, my Ch 8 quiz, she gave me a 0/20 for it. I clicked on the grade and up popped my quiz that was scored with a 20/20, handed in on time. I emailed her. Hope she actually reads email because that is the only means she has given us for communication and she hasn't responded to me in the past at all.
@garyanewsome if you click on the test link in your gradebook, then the numerical grade, it should show you your test .
Samantha Shurie
@sshurie
Oct 01 2015 16:16
@Katsiff I was also given a zero grade on that assignment and I checked it, it is completed for me. @srtinkey I also do not remember the questions as well for that test but I do remember struggling really hard to finish before the time limit. I do believe we are all given the same questions.
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 16:19
@Katsiff sweet I never knew that!
Katrina Siffrinn
@Katsiff
Oct 01 2015 16:20
@Arevyn24 did you email her too? Also, see above, you can look at your test questions. I had emailed her after that test saying I'm sure I'm not the only one who was rushed and felt like there wasn't enough time to think, asking if this was to be the norm going forward. No response.
@garyanewsome for almost any course this is available there is generally always a way to see your work. We are supposed to be able to see what and how we were graded. There are ways instructors can customize blackboard, so it doesn't always look or behave quite the same.
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 16:25
reviewing this test is really not helping my lack of desire to do this weeks assignment lol
Katrina Siffrinn
@Katsiff
Oct 01 2015 16:26
I agree!
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 16:29
In all honestly I am not sure anything will happen about the test. There are plenty of us who are displeased, but without an actual class to go to and vent in, and the complete lack of response to any email, we may be stuck.
I emailed her regarding there being 2 A.16 exercises listed did she mean 16 and 17 or was it a typo, never got a reply
Sharon R. Tinkey
@srtinkey
Oct 01 2015 16:47
@Arevyn24, if I remember correctly, I just barely got done before time was up for all her tests.
@garyanewsome, are you going to dinner tonight? I printed my test and would like to compare my questions to someone else's. I wonder if the questions are all the same.
Moving on the the next chapter, I will be sure to review the exercises in each section for more information that wasn't included in the chapter itself. I think we should write to the book author and complain.
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 16:53
No I cannot do the dinner thing tonight, I plan on being at the meeting the end of the month, but between kids schedules and being a one car family, I will likely only be able to attend the main meeting and perhaps one other event.
I will print up my test so we can compare notes
Sharon R. Tinkey
@srtinkey
Oct 01 2015 16:53
I don't want to get caught again in this problem. Our grades shouldn't suffer because of how they do things. But I don't know if Laura will help us or not. So I guess we'll just have to CYA by checking over the Exercises to be sure the authors didn't sneak in something.
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 16:54
I thought the test for 9 went pretty ok, but yes I share your concern. and @Arevyn24 barely finishing on time is standard on a Laura test.
Sharon R. Tinkey
@srtinkey
Oct 01 2015 16:54
@garyanewsome I'll bring my printout to Java class next week.
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 16:54
@srtinkey sounds good
Samantha Shurie
@sshurie
Oct 01 2015 17:16
@garyanewsome I agree, I thought chapter 9 test was okay.
@srtinkey oh ok, good to know. I'll bring in my test as well
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 18:07
Anyone done the very first question yet? The book sets up Structures as Public, then the first assigned question asks for the code of a Structure then do a Private statement. So should I make the entire Structure private? Is it just me or some of these questions incredibly vague.
Sharon R. Tinkey
@srtinkey
Oct 01 2015 18:56
first question? I haven't started the next chapter yet.
Gary A. Newsome
@garyanewsome
Oct 01 2015 18:57
Yeah the ex10.A.many you'll see when you get there
no need to do now if you are doing Java stuff
Sharon R. Tinkey