These are chat archives for WildGums/Orc.Squirrel

Jun 2017
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:44
@GeertvanHorrik at first startup after installation my app gets a CrashWarningWindow, do you know why this could be?
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 14:45
This is something from Orchestra, happens if the app hasn't been started corretly previously
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:45
yeah, but if the user does a fresh installation, the first startup of the application gives this window
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 14:46
that's not good. Do you initialize the %appdata% based on existing data?
this windows is being shown when %appdata%\company\product\started_failed.txt exists
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:48
hm, that catalogue should not exist prior to installation, and I'm only adding the "standard" squirrel files/catalogues during installation
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 14:48
if you run the app twice, it could be instance 1 still starting up
and the 2nd instance showing this window
but I have no details about logging, et
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:49
yeah maybe
as far as I know, at the end of squirrel installation the app is started
and then in my application I run the "SquirrelHelper.HandleSquirrelAutomatically();" to check if the app was just installed
that shows the window from Orc.Squirrel.Xaml, with a "run" button to run the app
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 14:50
that all looks good
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:50
and when my user press this button, then the problem occurs
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 14:50
what you can do is enable debug logging for your app
in app config, add this
  <configSections>
    <sectionGroup name="catel">
      <section name="logging" type="Catel.Logging.LoggingConfigurationSection, Catel.Core" />
    </sectionGroup>
  </configSections>

<catel>
    <logging>
      <listeners>
        <!--TODO: the line below must be commented out in stable release-->
        <!--<listener type="Catel.Logging.FileLogListener" IgnoreCatelLogging="true" IsDebugEnabled="true" IsInfoEnabled="true" IsWarningEnabled="true" IsErrorEnabled="true" />-->
      </listeners>
    </logging>
  </catel>
then you can easily uncomment the line when you want debug logging in production
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:54
What should I look for in the log file? (i.e., what namespace produces the startupfailed.txt file?)
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 14:55
something in orchestra, not 100 % sure
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 14:56
16:52:08:757 => [DEBUG] [Orchestra.Services.EnsureStartupService] [1] Creating fail safe file check
16:52:08:758 => [DEBUG] [Orc.FileSystem.FileService] [1] Creating file 'C:\Users\SESAEM\AppData\Roaming\Construction Software\Continuous Beam\startupfailed.txt'
nothing strange before this
oh wait a second, it seems like my second app starts before my first app has closed, like you pointed out
samirem
@samirem
Jun 13 2017 15:03
my app is doing a lot of startup stuff even after this line:
16:52:05:939 => [INFO] [Orc.Squirrel.SquirrelHelper] [1] Closing application
Should it not break the startup process here and shut down asap?
Geert van Horrik
@GeertvanHorrik
Jun 13 2017 20:06
your app should shut down, but not sure if it's something that's done automatically or whether you should be doing that
it's something we embed in our apps by default, so a long time ago when we wrote this