These are chat archives for ZaneDubya/UltimaXNA

Nov 2016
Jonathon Orsi
@jorsi
Nov 07 2016 01:00
Which is why I find most mmo/rpgs shallow recently
Something about being forced into survival mode at the most unfortunate or inopportune moments is memorable and adrenaline pumping
Also, if you find my book gump code too shoddy, let me know. I was rather new to programming C# at the time and probably did quite a hack job of it.
Zane Wagner
@ZaneDubya
Nov 07 2016 01:59
@jorsi I'm sure you won't hear a peep out of me ;) We're all learners here.
Most of us. ;)
Zane Wagner
@ZaneDubya
Nov 07 2016 02:10
ZaneDubya commented on Feb 26
Haha that's ok! I'm super swamped with school but will be able to take a look at this mid-march. Thanks so much!
I'm a little behind ;)
Zane Wagner
@ZaneDubya
Nov 07 2016 16:26
As I've been working on testing legacy features, I've been struck by the fact that the legacy UO client is remarkably backwards compatible. The 6.x.x.x clients still will gladly disable features that were added to the server/client/protocol years before the 6.x.x.x release.
The protocol, likewise, has been incredibly stable. Only two packets have changed - the addition of 2 bytes to the feature packet and 1 byte to the addsingleitem packet - since 1997. Sure, there have been additions, but no existing packets have been modified.
Based on interviews I've read, EA believes that shutting down what they call the "grey servers" would cost much more (in enforcement and legal dollars) than they would make by driving users back to the official servers.
Zane Wagner
@ZaneDubya
Nov 07 2016 16:32
But there are so many inexpensive ways that EA could have made playing on "grey servers" more difficult. Changing up the client to be slightly but not entirely incompatible every so often would certainly do that.
Instead, the client remains backwards compatible.
Even more interesting, the UO team has never tried to make a packet with id 0xF0 - the packet id that is used by razor/uoam/uoassist to negotiate features with RunUO.
One wonders if they're specifically trying not to make their client incompatible with those tools.
Just a thought.
Toni Spets
@hifi
Nov 07 2016 16:36
it could be the actual developers liked that their work was being used to preserve history
Zane Wagner
@ZaneDubya
Nov 07 2016 17:15
Maybe! And it could be that they're being ultra-conservative with their changes because they don't have the manpower to do anything but bolt on new code running on top of the old code, so nothing ever gets changed. But it has the net effect of not inconveniencing people who are playing UO and not paying for the privilege.
Toni Spets
@hifi
Nov 07 2016 17:16
was the client encryption per version which is why runuo normally does not do encryption?
googling a bit it was
Jonathon Orsi
@jorsi
Nov 07 2016 17:21
I don't know about EA, but Richard Garriot seems to have approved of emulators by visiting some of the more popular servers.
Zane Wagner
@ZaneDubya
Nov 07 2016 18:42
I remember hearing about that.