These are chat archives for akkadotnet/akka.net

1st
Jun 2017
Pawel Klimczyk
@pawelklimczyk
Jun 01 2017 06:37
Hi!
I consider using Akka.NET for triggering data replication.
One system changed data and triggers other systems to refresh it from central storage.
Later on any system that changes data will be allowed to trigger other systems.
Pawel Klimczyk
@pawelklimczyk
Jun 01 2017 06:42
I did a research and still not sure about the persistence. The message has to be delivered at least once.
is Akka the right choice ? I should I consider Redis for example? (or anything else)
Greatsamps
@Greatsamps
Jun 01 2017 08:14
@pawelklimczyk Take a look at Akka.Net streams
Pawel Klimczyk
@pawelklimczyk
Jun 01 2017 09:13
thx
@Greatsamps generally I wanted to ask if Akka is correct choice here
Damian Reeves
@DamianReeves
Jun 01 2017 16:02
Has anyone used the MongoDB persistence plugin against DocumentDB/CosmosDB?
Bert Lamb
@bertlamb_twitter
Jun 01 2017 20:42
I am seeing a really weird TestKit behavior that I'll try to get a shareable code example for but I'll describe quickly here...Basically my actor is using Serilog directly (not Akka.Logging.Serilog) and if I create the actor using ActorOf in my NUnit test case I get no logging output in Nunit but if I use ActorOfAsTestActorRef to create the actor then I do get the logging output in Nunit
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
Jun 01 2017 20:43
@DamianReeves not as far as I know
@bertlamb_twitter ok, that sounds weird
almost as though a piece of logging infrastructure isn't being correctly shared between the TestKit and the ActorSystem
Bert Lamb
@bertlamb_twitter
Jun 01 2017 20:49
switching to Console.Out.WriteLine shows the same behavior
so it is like somehow System.Out is getting co-opted in the ActorOf flow
Bartosz Sypytkowski
@Horusiath
Jun 01 2017 21:42
@pawelklimczyk you already know my opinion ;)
Daniel Knoodle
@dknoodle
Jun 01 2017 22:07
We are working with sending a cached object back from an actor to a caller. Unfortunately the cache may not have been created yet but we can't Sender.Tell() a Null. Anyone have a creative solution?
The actor is created using Generics so we don't know the data type to create an empty object to return either.
Sender.Tell(default(T)); throws a null error
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
Jun 01 2017 22:08
@dknoodle I'd go for lazy instantiation there
or use a special-case pattern to send a backoff message to the caller letting it know to try again
in a few moments
Daniel Knoodle
@dknoodle
Jun 01 2017 22:10
We are using the actor itself as the cache placeholder but we don't know if it has received a copy yet and it may not in any forceable future.
Aaron Stannard
@Aaronontheweb
Jun 01 2017 22:10
I see
in that case, use a special case
send back a status message indicating that it's not available yet
it's a good practice to get into even without actors
instead of using null for that sort of thing
have a special subtype that indicates Empty for that particular type
Daniel Knoodle
@dknoodle
Jun 01 2017 22:17
@Aaronontheweb - Thanks for the feedback!