These are chat archives for angular/material

Jul 2016
Daron Jones
@Wuntenn
Jul 14 2016 12:14
@noderat it’s because you’re not clicking to view the code - It’s the dark colored title area at the top of every example!
Alex
@atodicebear
Jul 14 2016 12:48
is the select all function as well working with Dynamic Array on not static $scope.items=[]?
Because my data are in this.Values
this.$http.get('/api/dict_values')
.then(response => {
this.$scope.Values = response.data;
from the example here
at the moment not working for me...
Alex
@atodicebear
Jul 14 2016 14:15
angular/material#9029
Daron Jones
@Wuntenn
Jul 14 2016 16:42
Thanks for sharing @akeucon is that what was happening in your app?
Chris Coggburn
@noderat
Jul 14 2016 17:48
@Wuntenn I've been doing that, but there still isn't a single location that lists all of the available classes like the directive list does
@Wuntenn The source in the examples in the toolbar, for example, have exactly zero comments. There is no explanation anywhere of exactly what the purpose is of md-toolbar-tools. Granted, I've figured out most of them by infering from those examples, but that is not documentation.
@Wuntenn Additionally, viewing the source of the toolbar directive (https://github.com/angular/material/blob/master/src/components/toolbar/toolbar.js) also fails to explain what the purpose of that class is, it just says to use it.
Daron Jones
@Wuntenn
Jul 14 2016 19:28

@noderat My bad (trying to speedread these comments before checking email). I’m in the same boat. All information from the docs and source. Thing is you can figure out what it does from the same github link. Use your detective mode: At the top of the page in github search in ‘This repository’ for md-toolbar-tools.

You’ll see a lot of code from the examples etc. You want to know WHAT it does so ignore all the files where it’s used and focus on the places where it’s defined and styled.
If you look down the left side of the page in the languages breakdown, you see it once in a javascript (If you click to filter it, It’s the place you started).

The other 5 files of importance (also filtered from the language breakdown) would be the css and scss files - So clearly for styling. Then why is it there? What’s it used for? Use your clues. The toolbar can grow in height and width and in the examples you’ve only ever seen it used to contain buttons. Is it maybe a container to keep the buttons looking slick? The name md-toolbar-tools… The css shows code restricting their height and allowing row based flex. So this is to stop your md-buttons and nav flexing everywhere! - You’re overthinking :D

Chris Coggburn
@noderat
Jul 14 2016 19:40
@Wuntenn I'm a team lead just trying to provide resources to junior developers(designers who know HTML/CSS), the overthinking is preperation for questions that I'd love to take time to research but would rather provide a single resource with explanations. I really appreciate the explanation and workflow for determining purpose. I'll probably be quoting you when the eventual multitude of questions flood in.
Daron Jones
@Wuntenn
Jul 14 2016 19:43
No worries! - except that you’ll be quoting me.. that’s slightly worrying!
:D