These are chat archives for asbjornenge/refugeeroute

Oct 2015
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:32
This message was deleted
@darthlukan woah!! Crazy awesome!! Sorry for not being online yesterday, super crazy busy day :-P Today I'm @ home so things are a bit more calm :-P
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:34
:thumbsup:
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:35
I haven't heard back from people in the field yet, and Flyktningehjelpen said they couldn't sponsor private projects like this... whatever that means..
Still waiting on a few folks to get back to me...
But I think we might just have to do a "build it and they will come" sort of approach... at least have some basic functionality up and running so the different organization and volunteers can see what we are thinking...
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:36
Did you tell them that the idea is that it doesn't remain a "private" project? That it's meant to be freely, publicly available and that it's meant to be used as a tool that institutions can leverage?
Yeah, sounds good
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:37
Yeah, I send a reply soon...
Other than that I'm quite busy this week preparing the React kurs I'm doing nov 02. (next monday), but after that I will have time to work on this! I think a React app with a postgres backend to start?
If anyone want to take charge and start implementing an API I would not mind that ;-)
I think my focus will be on the JS side of things...
@darthlukan woah, this Ushahidi thing looks like a perfect fit!?
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:42
@asbjornenge do you have a preferred backend (other than node)? Like, if I start implementing something Python or Go, would that be an issue so far as API goes?
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:42
written in php though... anyone with xp in that area? :-P
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:43
Yeah, I used to work PHP, but I can look at other language wrappers for it
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:43
@darthlukan no, as long as I can talk REST with it I'm happy ;-)
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:43
sounds good, I'll see what I can whip up this evening
at least to get something started
Just for clarification: The backend should literally only be an API that returns RESTful JSON, everything else should be handled by consumers (UI)
?
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:44
Cool :-) Take a look at this Ushahidi too... it might a great starting point... at least we can borrow some ideas!
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:45
Definitely :)
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:45
Yeah, basic RESTful JSON API ftw :grin:
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:45
Okay, I have four projects that need my attention now (at work), I'll be back later :)
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:45
It might be interesting to have a look at leveraging graphQL instead of building an API manually...
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 07:45
Yep
I know I have seen implementations of it connected to a postgresql + es backend which is probably what we want ;-)
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 07:55
look into json web tokens for auth...
I don't like using services, but maybe https://auth0.com/ is a quickstarter...
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 08:58
there are libs that wrap federated / social logins for tokenized services, we shouldn't have to pay to send that to an external service for processing
Asbjorn Enge
@asbjornenge
Oct 27 2015 09:04
agree! we can start simpler too! just a service I stumbled across in the tweetstream :-)
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 09:20
Yeah, I think the key will be simplicity at first, from there, we can always expand as the need for more complex operations becomes more apparent
So, super simple API implementation, easy to understand design, etc
Brian Tomlinson
@darthlukan
Oct 27 2015 16:52
@asbjornenge - If you check my fork, I've started a simple flask application as the back-end. Since we haven't really had a thorough discussion on how the whole project should be structured, I kept it as small and "hello world"-like as possible
I'm thinking the API itself should be just that, a JSON API hosted somewhere, and the site should be separate
realistically, the site could just be a simple semi-static something and the JS you'll be working up can then just consume from the API nodes as needed
no sense in cluttering up either portion, just keep them separate and easily consumable/maintainable so that one getting an update does not affect the other
Also, I used flask since it's easy to prototype with, but if you'd rather it was something else, I can get it rolling