These are chat archives for azukiapp/azk

21st
Sep 2015
Slobodan Mišković
@slobo
Sep 21 2015 21:34
Hm, i see what you mean.
I was going to suggest adding validation to docker_extra so that Azkfile only validates if correct Docker API fields are supplied.
Slobodan Mišković
@slobo
Sep 21 2015 21:41

But if you want to remove docker_extra, I would do it in these steps:

• print warning when field detected
  • next version, rename field to _docker_extra, to indicate that it should not be used, but still give people some time to find alternate solutions
  • lastly fully remove _docker_extra as well

Depending on number of users currently using docker_extra, you can skip a step or two.

More importantly, I would advise making it easy to downgrade azk - your ubuntu repo only has latest version, you should keep last few versions available in there, I don't think it costs you anything. Or maybe I just missed it, but apt-cache doesn't show anything but latest in there.
I welcome fast improvements, and since you aren't claiming v1.0 I'm not too concerned when you break existing stuff version to version, but having easy way to back out of upgrade until I have time to adjust Azkfile is paramount. Otherwise, I gotta lock in on a specific version and then I will probably never get around to updating to newer version.
Slobodan Mišković
@slobo
Sep 21 2015 21:51
As for my original problem of needing the "User" override, I'm now leaning towards always using my own Dockerfiles instead of relying on anything on dockerhub - it will prevent hacks like this and guard me from version updates. I'm finding some docker images get updated on dockerhub even when i'm using a version specific tag - maintainers will reuse same tag, like say v5.1.2 will all of a sudden be applied to another image...
Gullit Miranda
@gullitmiranda
Sep 21 2015 22:18
I understand your point, and I agree fully. This feedback is very important for us to improve our communication.
By reason of their report we'll have more related attention to these things.
I also agree that it would be interesting versions keep some older versions in the apt-get repository. I do not particularly wanted to know how to do this and this also was not done simply by priority account. If you open an issue or make a PR would be helpful.
Gullit Miranda
@gullitmiranda
Sep 21 2015 22:25
If you know how to file responsible for the generation of packages is:
Indeed, the user mapping problem in images is still an unsolved problem in the docker.
Slobodan Mišković
@slobo
Sep 21 2015 23:08
i took a look at that, and it's not immediately obvious to me how to get aptly to maintain old versions; i've created a ticket.