These are chat archives for bangorunix/2015

Mar 2015
scottyblizz
@scottyblizz
Mar 28 2015 11:27
hi i think there's a mistake for the deadline for the lab6 bash automation assessment...it says 7th april but that's still during easter?
Dan Prince
@danprince
Mar 28 2015 11:55
Afraid not, we've got a class test when you come back and the assignment is due shortly after that, so to stop them overlapping, we set the submission deadline to be during Easter.
scottyblizz
@scottyblizz
Mar 28 2015 12:27
are you guys available at dean street during easter then? if not i would say that's rather unfair seeing as though most people i've spoke to don't understand the assessment specification (myself included) and are away on holiday at various places with little/no internet. I have a rather large list of everybodies questions I wanted to come see you about because writing it on here is hard to articulate certain questions properly without confusion. could you possibly post a more detailed/less ambiguous assessment specification? or just extend the deadline to the end of the week we return to give people the option to come see you in person? don't mean to be rude but these circumstances seem rather unusual
Dan Prince
@danprince
Mar 28 2015 14:03

Yes, we are in Dean Street and we can arrange a meeting if you want? Deadlines are set at our discretion and there's nothing unusual about that being during the holidays.

There was a lab session on this exercise, in which we were available to explain the assignment, followed by three days of term time in which you could have contacted us. We're already a week into the break and this room has been open since then for your questions.

If you can provide some hints on which parts of the assessment are ambiguous, we'll do what we can to improve the clarity of the assessment script, but I would suggest that you post your list here, so that others will know if their points have been addressed, regardless of potential ambiguity.

I'm afraid we can't make exception for people on holiday with little/no internet, but if there is anyone who is struggling with this scenario, then they can run a Linux distro from a livedisk or a dualboot on their laptops, most newsagents will sell Linux magazines with livedisks included.

Thanks for your feedback and feel free to message/email myself or one of the others if you want to arrange a meeting in Dean Street.

Noah
@eeue56
Mar 28 2015 15:12
University is not about spoonfeeding. If you need help, ask for it, don't just expect it to magically happen.
LukeWBangor
@LukeWBangor
Mar 28 2015 15:44
In the specification it mentions examples, in both
"The script should create a README.txt file and
dynamically insert the example content and name of
the project into it" and
"The script should create a bash file with the
same name as the project and insert the
example code into it."
What sort of example content /code is meant to be included here?
Dan Prince
@danprince
Mar 28 2015 15:46
The examples are the large sections on slides 15 and 16
LukeWBangor
@LukeWBangor
Mar 28 2015 15:48
So the script file and another Readme file?
Dan Prince
@danprince
Mar 28 2015 15:50
Yeah, each time you use your script to create a new project, it should create a script file (using the example code as a template) and a readme file (using that readme as a template)
LukeWBangor
@LukeWBangor
Mar 28 2015 15:51
Ah okay, I think I follow now. Thanks!
Dan Prince
@danprince
Mar 28 2015 15:52
No worries!
scottyblizz
@scottyblizz
Mar 28 2015 16:20
thank you Dan i'll write out the queries when I get home, internet is so poor here most of my messages aren't appearing
eeue56 - there is a difference between spoonfeeding and a poorly planned course/ambigious assessment sheet. Seeing as though all my other work has been first-class it's unlikely the problem rests with me. Im sure the 7/8 other people I've spoke to who are in the same position agree with me too
Noah
@eeue56
Mar 28 2015 16:20
Please note that the comment on spoonfeeding was with regards to questions.
If they have issues, then they should raise them with us, so that we can answer them and provide direction.