These are chat archives for biojs/biojs

Feb 2015
Abhilash
@abhi3011
Feb 25 2015 06:38
hi @greenify , I wanted to ask about #134 , i can not get what it actually means, does it mean a component to teach how to develop biojs components? so then what is the need of periodic table in it
I can not get the real idea behind this issue.
Sebastian Wilzbach
@wilzbach
Feb 25 2015 06:45
@abhi3011: I just migrated this from a wish list. Anyway I guess as the issue says there is no imminent real world use case for the idea - it is more for training. I might imagine that highlighting or annotating specific elements might be nice, but again this was just an idea someone had ;-)
AFAIK it was an idea for an easy component to learn to BioJS concept
Abhilash
@abhi3011
Feb 25 2015 06:57
ok @greenify
tyreek
@tyreek
Feb 25 2015 15:19
(biojs-registry via irc) BioJS package update: biojs-vis-keggviewer to 1.0.0 by José Villaveces
tyreek
@tyreek
Feb 25 2015 15:26
(biojs-registry via irc) BioJS package update: biojs-vis-keggviewer to 1.0.1 by José Villaveces
Ayush Sharma
@ayusharma
Feb 25 2015 19:29
HI all, I am working on BioJs Dashboard project , So last day I tried to make a simple dashboard UI as given in prototype. I tried to make the UI in angular JS and integrated the gridster plugin.. Please take a look here : http://ayusharma.in/biojs_proto/app/#/
next task to integrate the bioJs widgets. Please guide me to practice that part.. suggestion and feedback are welcome.. Thanks :)
Jules P. Wilburn
@wilburn
Feb 25 2015 20:11

Wow that looks amazing - you are truly an UX designer :)
So I try to explain how the prototype works and what mistakes were made there - maybe this helps you.

The input design

The inputmgr reads new files, adds them to filemgr(for the history). The filemgr sends an event file:text once it has parsed the entire file.

The widget injection

filemgr.on("file:text", inject.add.bind(inject));

Flaws in this design

At the moment I can think at least of these flaws, but as for all software produce, there might be more:

• The adapter shouldn't call addWidget, they should be pure views (e.g. like Backbone views used for msa-tnt)
  • The user can't pick the actual component, it is "guessed" automatically (which is nice), but for the long run there might be multiple components (or just consider two different instances of c3 as bar and pie chart)
  • The adapter should be part of the actual package
  • The list of available components is currently hard-coded
  • The adapter could extend a modified (Bacbkbone) view that allows features like saving/restoring of configuration or listing to resize event
Ayush Sharma
@ayusharma
Feb 25 2015 20:20
Thanks @wilburn I am reading your reply and trying to understand the process and flaws..
Jules P. Wilburn
@wilburn
Feb 25 2015 20:25
@ayusharma: I hope this is helpful, but I guess you still have many questions so really don't hesistate ;-)
Ayush Sharma
@ayusharma
Feb 25 2015 20:33
@wilburn ya.. I am giving time myself understand your reply..then I'll ask my doubts... and as I have not gone much through BioJs so first I am thinking to complete the tutorials of biojs.
tyreek
@tyreek
Feb 25 2015 21:37
(biojs-registry via irc) BioJS package update: biojs-pcviz to 0.2.7 by B. Arman Aksoy