$a = bw get item MY_ITEM_NAME;, only to get garbled string beneath.
I used to use Japanese localized Windows (7), and everything would work. Then when I would bring work onto my Windows 7 PC I bought in the US, everything would get garbled. After digging into it, I found out Windows is stupid. Flipped a table, and just installed Japanese Windows 7 on my home PC too... lol.
Good luck with registry hell... :-(
Finally, I turn on the Force using UTF-8 globally switch in the Region Option Tab of win10 system.
Many things go comfortable at once, only at a minor cost that a few trivial apps which haven't got updated for a long long while would display □ as placeholders for those erroneously displaying but still correctly pastable characters.