These are chat archives for canjs/canjs

31st
Aug 2016
Sunil George
@georgesunil81
Aug 31 2016 13:14
Need some help with PDF download if anybody can help. I have a API that responds with PDF stream with -
Content-Type →application/octet-stream
Content-Disposition →attachment; filename=Documentation.pdf
I am getting the API response as the stream. I want to present it to the user for download as "Documentation.pdf".
Please help. Thanks in advance.
Sunil George
@georgesunil81
Aug 31 2016 14:06
Is there anything in CanJS that helps with this, or do I have to go via JQuery or plain JavaScript?
Christopher Oliphant
@RALifeCoach
Aug 31 2016 14:17
@georgesunil81 My guess is that you will need to use jQuery or Javascript
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 14:39
@Bajix change a lists's set? No, but you should be able to get dynamic subsets of items if you use cache-requests behavior
@RALifeCoach What about can-connect do you need me to look at?
looking up above
it seems you need the connection-store
behavior as well
Christopher Oliphant
@RALifeCoach
Aug 31 2016 14:41
@justinbmeyer That was a while ago, I have everything working with that now
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 14:41
yeah, I've been a bit busy the last 3 or so weeks
catching up on everything
Christopher Oliphant
@RALifeCoach
Aug 31 2016 14:41
However, if you have a minute I am struggling with a steal-tools question
No problem, I know you guys are very busy.
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 14:42
I'll meet you in the steal-tools room
steal room
Christopher Oliphant
@RALifeCoach
Aug 31 2016 14:42
steal-tools or steal?
the question is posted in stealjs/steal
Adam L Barrett
@BigAB
Aug 31 2016 16:45

Okay, here's what I want:
I want to be able to get all the methods on a DefineMap instance, that are not the methods provided by DefineMap (get,set,setup,serialize,...etc), I only want the methods defined in the propsDefinition object, or any propsDefinition object of it's from an already extended DefineMap class.

Is there a good way to get what I want?

My first thought is, see if there is any way to access the propsDefinition objects from the class/constructor function, sooo...
If you have an extended DefineMap constructor function:

const User = DefinedMap.extend({
  name: 'string',
  login(username, password) { ... }
})

Is there anyway to get the object passed to extend there from the User class?
If User was then extended:

const PrivilegedUser = User.extend({
  login(username, password) { ... },
  verifyRole(role) { ... }
})

Is there a way from the PrivilegedUser function to access both the object passed to as well as the one User.extend() passed to DefineMap.extend()?

From this example above, what I really want, is to end up with a list of method keys, in this case from PrivilegedUser I would want ['login', 'verifyRole']
Matthew Phillips
@matthewp
Aug 31 2016 16:51
if(!DefineMap.prototype[methodName])
or
if(instance.__proto__[methodName])
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 16:53
Please take our training session time survey: https://twitter.com/canjs/status/771026512057434112
Adam L Barrett
@BigAB
Aug 31 2016 16:55
@matthewp No I want to get a list of the method names, I wont know them already
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 17:29
@BigAB his suggestion was accounting for that
he implied a loop
you can do a for in loop of the instance.constructor.prototype
then check to make sure the property is .hasOwnProperty() on that object
Chris
@chrischrischris
Aug 31 2016 17:37
Hi, Is there a way to determine if a control is currently bound to an element?
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 17:39
I think a control adds to the element's data
if you're using jquery, $(element).data("control")
I think
controls
Chris
@chrischrischris
Aug 31 2016 17:40
Perfect, thanks Justin!
Adam L Barrett
@BigAB
Aug 31 2016 17:47
@matthewp @justinbmeyer Yeah, so that doesn’t quite get what I wanted, as there is still setup in there, and constructor, and I end up having to walk up and check the prototype chain to look for any more methods (from already extended constructors). So I take it we don’t hold onto those propertyDefinition objects anywhere then eh? That’s alright, I’ll look into a different approach.
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Aug 31 2016 17:48
@BigAB when are you looking to do this? in your actual app? in a test?
Adam L Barrett
@BigAB
Aug 31 2016 17:51
@phillipskevin Looking for a way in my can-react implementation, to copy (and bind) the methods defined on a DefineMap into the object to be passed as props to the connected component
Currently I am copying (and binding) and property that is a function, but I figured that was excessive, as presumably, they would only be expecting to pass any methods the DefineMap had.. ..uh… defined.
To answer the “about to be asked” question, “Why not pass the whole DefineMap instance”, react throws a little warning if you try to pass anythign other than a plain object as props
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Aug 31 2016 17:54
ok, thanks for explaining
I don’t have a better idea
if you figure out a different approach I’d be interested to hear it though
Adam L Barrett
@BigAB
Aug 31 2016 17:57
I am considering putting the pressure on the other side, and only copying over methods defined in the React Components propTypes
This would force users to define their propTypes in the component, which though encouraged, is not enforced
Matthew Phillips
@matthewp
Aug 31 2016 18:30
I think walking up the prototype chain is what you want to do
walk up the chain until you get to DefineMap and stop there
if your goal is to get a list of non-definemap functions that is
Adam L Barrett
@BigAB
Aug 31 2016 20:27
@matthewp So you think i should just sort of blacklist setup which seems to always be there (as well as constructor)
Matthew Phillips
@matthewp
Aug 31 2016 20:28
Yeah, sounds fine to me
if you know this is a DefineMap/Map, it's ok that you have hardcoded that
constructor applies to all objects
so no prob there either
this is metaprogramming so doesn't need to be easy/clean :)
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Aug 31 2016 22:00
@BigAB what I'm saying should work
setup shouldn't be there. Maybe constructor ... that is the only one.