These are chat archives for canjs/canjs

Oct 2018
Frank Lemanschik
@frank-dspeed
Oct 30 2018 08:57
can some one enlighten me?
// node listeners
var addNodeInsertionListener = addNodeListener(insertionDataKey, treeDataKey);
var addNodeRemovalListener = addNodeListener(removalDataKey, treeDataKey);
var addNodeAttributeChangeListener = addNodeListener(attributeChangeDataKey, attributeDataKey, true);

// global listeners
var addInsertionListener = addGlobalListener(
    documentInsertionDataKey,
    addNodeInsertionListener
i found this code in can-dom-mutate
for me this looks like addNodeInsertionListener gets set and then gets instanced as empty var?
ah no now i see it there was a ()
:D
sorry
nmingneau
@nmingneau
Oct 30 2018 10:32
Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 10.53.17.png
does anyone know what above means?
Frank Lemanschik
@frank-dspeed
Oct 30 2018 11:57
@nmingneau i am not sure as i don't writed this messages but for me
it reads like your trying to update a value in a child component
that is not write able
a example for such a situation is when your main component has something that can change bound to something in a sub component that can not change like a getter
@phillipskevin @matthewp
should be able to translate that :)
@nmingneau if you can do a minimal example maybe in a codepen i can tell you whats wrong
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 12:23
@nmingneau I've been seeing a lot of those also. Not sure what they mean but so far haven't caused an issue. Seems like a child property is setting a parent and vice versa at near the same time so they're trying to update each other.
Like I said though, hasn't appeared to cause an issue yet, so I'd say its safe to ignore, but something to consider in the future for future enhancements might be to log where the property is getting set and what the property name is..etc.
Frank Lemanschik
@frank-dspeed
Oct 30 2018 14:22
i am so happy that i never saw this leads me to the conclusion that my new code style keeps me away from doing such stuff
:D
i stoped using stache bindings and all this stache stuff and refactored all to js syntax
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 14:25
it probably means that a parent sets a child and the child then tries to set the parent in a cycle
there is actually some ongoing discussion around this warning
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 14:31
as discussed on that issue, there might be a bug here
so if you have cases that cause this warning that you think are not real issues, please let us know @roemhildtg @nmingneau
Justin Meyer
@justinbmeyer
Oct 30 2018 14:53
yeah, I'm about to publish some better logging on it
nmingneau
@nmingneau
Oct 30 2018 16:47
Hi, using assigndeep solved it in my case because the reference is preserved. Not exactly sure why the DefineMap became not settable. The update happened in a route listener in a separately loaded bundle.
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 17:59
Awesome job on the new vm debug tools guys!
Figured I'd share this with the community
It looks and works amazingly well
drag-resize.gif
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 18:07
I guess my only suggestion would be a smaller font size perhaps
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 18:50
Awesome @roemhildtg. Glad it's working well for you.
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 18:50
:clap:
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 18:51
I'll be tweaking the UX over the next couple days, so I'll bump down the font a bit
there are a couple open issues here: https://github.com/canjs/can-devtools-components/issues that I'm working on
if you find anything else, please feel free to open issues
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 18:52
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 18:55
yeah, that's annoying
if you right click in the devtools panel and click "reload frame" it fixes it
obviously, not a great workaround :smile:
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 18:57
That's what I'm doing for now. It works fine, but yeah eventually a nice polished devtools will be good, which I'm sure you'll get to. I mean its already so much easier to debug than a year ago, and having the viewmodel editor makes it a lot easier to get others up to speed on the stuff I'm working on
Good documentation is one thing...but being able to play with the viewmodel in dev tools makes it super simple
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 18:58
:thumbsup: we'll keep improving it
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 18:58
I'm thinking I might even build the viewmodel editor into demo projects.
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 18:58
yeah, I'm going to post on the forums how to add it to demo pages
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 18:59
Not sure how feasible that is at the moment but having a sort of editor like some libs have would be a really nice tool
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 19:00
it's not too bad to add to demo pages
Gregg Roemhildt
@roemhildtg
Oct 30 2018 19:00
Okay :)
I wonder, like down the road could the view model editor get passed a tag, like componentSelector:raw="my-component"
And then the viewmodel editor would just pick that component's viewmodel?
That would make it super easy to embed in a demo
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 19:32
yeah, that would be tough
well, we could create a component that wraps the current one and does that
but for it to work in devtools it can only take in serialized data
Kevin Phillips
@phillipskevin
Oct 30 2018 21:24
same-comp-fix.gif
@roemhildtg here's the fix for that issue... I'm going to put the index of that element in the tagName
and reset the data when the tagName changes