These are chat archives for cherrypy/cherrypy

Oct 2016
Sylvain Hellegouarch
@Lawouach
Oct 04 2016 15:22
Hi folks, just thought you guys might be interested. Here is one of thing we are working at my company https://github.com/atomist-project-templates/cherrypy-service Generators to automate projects creation. Of course, I couldn't resist adding one for CherryPy. There is a little more context here https://medium.com/the-composition/better-team-collaboration-with-atomist-71da7f874279#.ebyq64l3w
I'd be glad if you guys can try and feedback on this sometime :)
Nicklas Börjesson
@nicklasb
Oct 04 2016 17:57
Cool stuff!
Sylvain Hellegouarch
@Lawouach
Oct 04 2016 18:03
tx :)
Nicklas Börjesson
@nicklasb
Oct 04 2016 18:04
You really need the admin access to github services? (not that well versed in github internals, just wondering)
Sylvain Hellegouarch
@Lawouach
Oct 04 2016 18:27
I think it's because we need to install a webhook and a collaborator that we require that permission. We don't do anything else. Permissions are usually a little scary indeed :/
Nicklas Börjesson
@nicklasb
Oct 04 2016 18:30
Why do you need to install that, is that motivated by some central feature? It stopped me in my tracks, perhaps not forever but still. So I am thinking that if there is any way for it to work without that, perhaps it could be some optional feature? To reel people in?
BTW, i just looked at Flask vs CherryPy on google trends, it has made huge gains.
In many ways, it is not that different from CherryPy. Only that I feel that CP is actually easier in many ways. It seems that we could find some ideas from there. One thing we discussed was extensions.
For example, flask have a menu item on their front page their list of extensions in a menu choice. Having more than a couple extensions it a sign of health. For example, ws4py is nowhere to be easily found.
Sylvain Hellegouarch
@Lawouach
Oct 04 2016 18:34
Yeah I can understand. We are working on explaining why we need the webhook so we can initialy create the repository in your org. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to do that. We definitely a better story about those permissions yeah. Thank you for the feedback. I will pass it along.
Extensions would be indeed relevant, show there is some sort of "blessed" ecosystem.
Nicklas Börjesson
@nicklasb
Oct 04 2016 19:05

Isn’t there some other way, to fork your repo or something?
Because there is also the security issue with you having access to a whole bunch of repos, not only from the user perspective but for the operational risk of potentially getting sued by a whole bunch of users. Don’t know if you can let go of the rights by your own afterwords.

I think so, all frameworks are about community and extensibility.

Sylvain Hellegouarch
@Lawouach
Oct 04 2016 19:53
How do you mean about the getting sued aspect?
Nicklas Börjesson
@nicklasb
Oct 04 2016 19:57
Well, with power comes responsibility.
Say that you are hacked and that hacker realizes he/she has al dat access to the clients’ private repositories. And do bad stuff with that. Then it is your responsibility.
Super-scary IMO, and also it makes you an even more interesting target.
Sylvain Hellegouarch
@Lawouach
Oct 04 2016 20:22
I have passed your concerns along to the team
Nicklas Börjesson
@nicklasb
Oct 04 2016 20:42
OK.
WRT CherryPy, it would be nice if your product was mentioned as some kind of news item somewhere for CherryPy. Also a plugin page would be greated. Reposted the huge project list in planning.