These are chat archives for chipsenkbeil/groupchat

Mar 2016
Mar 14 2016 16:14
Forgot what the old group chat room was.
Was sending some stuff to Sam, but thought I'd ask the same of you, @rorygraves.

Did I get blocked from Drone? Can't seem it to get it to run my tests anymore. Switched to using ensime/ensime:2.x and got rid of the Oracle JDK stuff. I'll just test using OpenJDK for now on Drone.
Also, do you have some sort of automated system to add "Needs Review" to PRs? Noticed that pop up on the PR I'm trying to get tested using Drone.

Oh, no, there it goes.

Oh, and I guess you never added my machine back to the cluster, right? Did we ever figure out a reason for the OOM?
And, are the build matrix nodes supposed to be run sequentially? Looks like each is waiting on the one above to complete first, as if there is only one machine running that can only run one at a time.

It also seems really, really slow. Stuck loading the project build definition for over 5 minutes to finally tell me that I had a typo in the sbt command.

That's essentially what I was asking him.
So, finally got Drone to work, although it's only for OpenJDK 7 as @fommil told me about issue with public docker container and Oracle JDKs.
Mar 14 2016 16:38
Hey, drone should be automatic - if its not then its an issue we need to investigate.
Mar 14 2016 16:38
It started working again.
I think it had a problem earlier because I was committing from the past.
Mar 14 2016 16:38
Your node is not part of the cluster right now, no idea about the OOM. Drone doesn't support parrallel builds yet - very annoying
Mar 14 2016 16:38
That sucks about parallel builds.
Guess it's a good thing I'm only running on OpenJDK 7 for Drone.
Mar 14 2016 16:39
yeah, its on their roadmap - feels like something that should have been their earlier - the cancal is screwy as well.
Mar 14 2016 16:39
Otherwise I'd have three times the nodes to run.
Still, drone seems to get around a problem I've brought up with ScalaTest.
Mar 14 2016 16:39
yep....
Mar 14 2016 16:40
scalatest/scalatest#770
Mar 14 2016 16:40
no idea why its so slow - will have to wait for @fommil to give answers on some of those items.
Mar 14 2016 16:40
Was hitting that every time for integration tests.
Yeah.
Mar 14 2016 16:40
oh - thats very weird
Mar 14 2016 16:40
Seems to not happen now for drone, though. Wasn't happening locally, either.
And adding parallel execution worked for unit but not integration tess.
So, not sure what was up with that.
Any thoughts on caching the outputted class files in Drone?
Mar 14 2016 16:41
sorry 'outputted'?
Mar 14 2016 16:42
ha ha, I'm using a kinesis advantage and still have typos from it.
These keys are more sensitive than I'm used to. :P
Mar 14 2016 16:42
lol, I was not commenting on the spelling ;) was not sure what workflow and which output classes you were talking about.
Mar 14 2016 16:43
Ah.
From compiling the src, test, and integration java files.
Scala
Brain is on the fritz a bit today. Train issues. Long story.
Essentially, I'd love to save off the class files from the last compilation.
Since I'm compiling 400+ sources for main and nearly 300 for test. Test's sources take a lot longer, too.
So any incremental compilation improvements would be wonderful.
Mar 14 2016 16:44
Yeah, I forget how big your project sources are...
Mar 14 2016 16:45
I had the same problem on Travis, so it's not like Drone is worse.
Just curious if I could take advantage of caching.
Trying my hand at caching now, but don't know if it worked since I've just gotten my first build working for a PR.
Mar 14 2016 16:45
I don't know - my knowledge of drone is vague.
but I can see why you would want to.
Mar 14 2016 16:46
And PRs will have a different cache, anyway, although it would be nice to take the master cache and provide that if the PR cache is empty.
Mar 14 2016 16:46
yeah - nice idea
Mar 14 2016 16:47
Anyway, with this PR finished (once it passes), I'll be tackling Ensime (finally). Long overdue.
Mar 14 2016 16:47
I don't think you need to apologise for that - the debugger is looking very polished
Mar 14 2016 16:47
I'll build up a branch against a snapshot so I can make any last-minute changes in the debugger API where needed for Ensime.
Mar 14 2016 16:48
sounds sensible
Mar 14 2016 16:48
Once the branch is good-to-go, I'll publish the API and switch Ensime to use the non-snapshot version.
Mar 14 2016 16:48
awesome
Mar 14 2016 16:48
Will keep you two posted on progress.
Mar 14 2016 16:48
sounds good.
Mar 14 2016 16:49
I've got quite a lot going on this week (three projects at work, patent tasks, grad school projects, blah blah blah); so, not sure how fast I'll be.
Full time work and grad school is definitely eating up my open source time right now.
Anyway, thanks Rory for getting back to me! Hopefully @fommil can fill in the missing answers later. :)
Mar 14 2016 16:55
What are you doing at grad school?
And patent? Intriguing.
Ghost
@ghost~540393fe163965c9bc2018ce
Mar 14 2016 17:00
You can't use docker to cache things, yeah
But it's fiddly
Our build machines are not powerful
We only have one out the moment, i need to add yours back
Mar 14 2016 17:04
I'm doing this program: http://www.omscs.gatech.edu/
Focusing on interactive intelligence.
Mar 14 2016 17:14
@fommil, the sluggishness is after running the container.
It's literally on my sbt command.
It takes a minute or so to even say that it is loading the project.
And then sits for awhile before it gets to using Coursier to resolve dependencies, compile code, etc.
Too bad there are no time stamps.
Other than when it was started.
But that is 3 minutes in.
Still at the "loading project" stage.
Wait, and can or cannot use Docker to cache? I know the Drone docs said there was caching that used volume mounts. Is that not available for us?
Ghost
@ghost~540393fe163965c9bc2018ce
Mar 14 2016 17:37
Oh that sounds like sbt resolving itself. Make sure you're using 0.13.11
And Scala. Make sure to use 2.10.6 and 2.11.8 as they are cached
I wouldn't recommend matrix for different tests, just use the matrix for build env changes. Put test and it:test together
Otherwise you'll duplicate work
Mar 14 2016 21:37
Okay, sounds good. I'll update the drone file again soon.
And my build.properties file to use the right sbt version.
Mar 14 2016 23:55
Are you sure that sbt 0.13.11 is in ensime/ensime:v2.x?
$ /usr/bin/sbt ++$SCALA_VERSION "$TEST_SUITE"
Downloading sbt launcher for 0.13.11:
 From  http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/ivy-releases/org.scala-sbt/sbt-launch/0.13.11/sbt-launch.jar
   To  /root/.sbt/launchers/0.13.11/sbt-launch.jar
Please use CMSClassUnloadingEnabled in place of CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled in the future
Getting org.scala-sbt sbt 0.13.11 ...