These are chat archives for cmdPP/core

Mar 2016
Mar 29 2016 08:01
Hi all,
Is this room just for the core fork or also for the main repo?

Anyhow, I was looking at the request page: http://htwins.net/edit/cmdplusplus
And I say we shouldn't do number 2 on the list.

CMD doesn't work that way. And in my honest opinion we should stick as close as possible to an actual console application

Mar 29 2016 08:02
What do you mean? Are you asking if it's for jettcrowson's or mine?
Mar 29 2016 08:02
Thoughts? Ill brb. (and yes that's what i'm asking or maybe it's for both)
Mar 29 2016 08:03
I agree. It's also pretty complicated to implement for something so simple
I was using it for my repo and Jett added to his Readme. I'm not completely sure why
Mar 29 2016 08:13
Also I think we should have a proper discussion about your fork.
I still have to find the time to look at it properly though.

But we should really make a decision concerning your fork.
It's a waste of time one way or another. Either working on your fork is a waste or working on the main repo is.

It's best to make a decision and work on one of the repositories from now on.
I think it's best to keep using jett's repository and then just merge your fork to it if we decide to use node.

I said "from now on" but I meant from that moment forth. Also just ignore all errors concerning grammer. Not native english speaker :P
Mar 29 2016 08:20
Well, there's a reason I didn't make a proper fork. Currently, I have three repositories making up the project. The first, being "core", is the core logic. No HTML, just JavaScript. I have another repo using a bundle (using Browserify) of the core project which hosts the gihub.io repo. The third (not really important to this, but might as well list it) is the terminal repo. If Node is installed, you can install packages " globally", and these packages often have CLI commands. The terminal repo hosts a CLI command using the core repo as a dependency.
Which is why I can't simply create a pull request.
Mar 29 2016 08:22
@ninja4826 yeah I figured. But if we decide to continue with that jett can simply download it. Remove all files in his repo and commit yours instead. Or you can do that yourself. Fork master. Remove all files. Place your own files in the same folder. Commit, create pull request.
Still think a decision has to be made first.
Unrelated: where is everyone from btw?
Mar 29 2016 08:25
The problem with that, is that any time we change code for the game, we'd have to rebuild, commit, and push. With a separated system, I upload the bundled file as an asset in a release, and when the github.io page is loaded, it uses GitHub's API to find the latest release, get the bundle asset's URL, and dynamically load it without having to manually change the website or push any changes to the github.io repo.
Since both you and Jett are listed as owners in the organization, if we wanted to go with my system, it would be as simple as telling everyone to work on the organization's repo.
Mar 29 2016 08:27
Am I listed as owner? I didn't know that lol. Where can you see that?
Mar 29 2016 08:28
I'm not sure. I know it sent an invite. It might be in your notifications (top right)
Mar 29 2016 08:29
Nope.
Mar 29 2016 08:29
I'll see if I can resend it
Mar 29 2016 08:29
Oh in yours. I thought you meant in jett's
Mar 29 2016 08:30
Oh, no. I'm not sure that you can add people to it like that, but I'm not sure
Lately I've been adding a lot of JSDoc notations to everything. It might make it a little hard to read the main file (located at src/index.js). Just try to ignore the comment lines.
Mar 29 2016 08:34
I took the day off tomorrow. I have a doctors appointment. And if he doesn't tell me to go to the hospital right away I will look at it then ok?
Don't think i will get the time today. Make sure to spam me about it tomorrow and don't stop until I look at it xD.
Mar 29 2016 08:37
Sure thing. I'm in no rush. If it takes a while to get to implementing either of the choices, I'll just keep adding to my repo. I like to rewrite code that I think might be a little inefficient or doesn't quite look right.
Mar 29 2016 08:38
as I said before. I never worked with node.js. If there is anything I need to do before I can run it locally can you put that in a readme file or something? Some install instructions etc.
Mar 29 2016 08:39
What operating system will you be using?
Mar 29 2016 08:39
Windows
Mar 29 2016 08:39
Alright. Shouldn't be too hard. That's what I use for my development.
Mar 29 2016 08:45
First of all: you can download Node.JS here. Once that's installed (it's a normal installation). After that, clone the terminal repo (the core repo isn't meant to be run standalone. It needs to have an implementation to work), move to the directory you cloned, run "npm install", and run " npm start". If it says something about "babel-node isn't a command", run " npm install -g babel-cli", wait for that to finish, and try "npm start" again.
Don't worry about trying all this today (well. Tonight for me. It's 3:45 am for me lol)
Mar 29 2016 08:47
lol. 10:47am here
Mar 29 2016 08:49
You can reach me at pretty much any time through this. I get a notification on my phone.
Mar 29 2016 08:49
okido :)
Mar 29 2016 08:54
I have to warn you about Node.JS. It is EXTREMELY addicting. About 95% of my projects since finding it have been for Node.JS. Web servers, desktop applications (check out Atom by GitHub), terminal applications, build tools, etc. It's modules are basically a one-stop-shop.
Mar 29 2016 09:09
If you want to browse the modules on npm (Node Package Manager), take a look at its registry