These are chat archives for coala/coala-bears

Apr 2018
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 08:09

@jayvdb Regarding https://github.com/coala/coala-bears/pull/2316/files/4aad1ae6216cddef5d61644c114543842abd3f75#diff-f5c369821ed5f2660ab333edc21ed4c7 I did something terribly wrong in haste. Perhaps setting should be something like

include_filters: typed_list(str) = None,

used as

if not include_filters:
            args += ('--filter=' + ','.join(include_filters),)
John Vandenberg
@jayvdb
Apr 17 2018 08:15
why 'filters' ?
they look like named rules of checks
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 08:15
Because that is what its called by cmakelint
But they are filters for the cmake file
John Vandenberg
@jayvdb
Apr 17 2018 08:16
how is a cmake filter different to a pycodestyle check?
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 08:20
I don't think this issue coala/coala-bears#326 is about pycodestyle check. filters are something supported by the cmakelint https://github.com/richq/cmake-lint/ and not included in the CMakeLintbear of coala
John Vandenberg
@jayvdb
Apr 17 2018 08:22
conceptually, how is a cmake filter different to a pycodestyle check?
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 08:24
It isn't I guess. It is just dedicated to cmake file.
I have an exam to take in 5 minutes. I'll get back asap
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 10:21
filter option of cmakelint is similar to --select=errors option of pycodestyle
and options like readability/logic, readability/mixedcase, readability/wonkycase are not supported by pycodestyle
John Vandenberg
@jayvdb
Apr 17 2018 11:37
the names and logic of the checks are irrelevant
the way we names settings is relevant
coala adds consistency across lots of bears
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 11:39
Alright cmakelint_select should be fine then ?
John Vandenberg
@jayvdb
Apr 17 2018 11:40
except you have a prefix, - and +. I think we talked about that when you first created your PR. that still hasnt been resolved.
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 11:41
I did leave a comment about that on the issue
John Vandenberg
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 11:50
Okay. Will do that
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 12:48
@jayvdb I have a weird problem. I am working on two issues related to CMakeLintBear and I am kind of stuck with the same error. Circleci logs in coala/coala-bears#2364 show error in testing invalid file that was present in the code originally bad_file_mixes_case . The invalid files I am using for my issues are working fine.
John Vandenberg
@jayvdb
Apr 17 2018 12:49
obviously something is not working fine, and saying they are working fine only causes you to not see the problem
distrust every line you write
Kriti Rohilla
@kriti21
Apr 17 2018 12:50
Okay :sweat_smile:
Will look into this more carefully
Mischa Krüger
@Makman2
Apr 17 2018 22:13

why do you think it doesn’t make sense, and doesn’t align with coala’s concepts?

It would be a special case in our core to handle a new kind of parallelization with special support to internally pass results. The idea is to be very generic with that to allow any level of parallelization. And when we would introduce job queues for each file, what if we don't need that only for files, but other data structures/resources as well? This becomes so super special now that at least I don't see a concise concept where someone would say "yes, I understand why and what it does" when reading the code.

Is there a concept of priority now? The bears could run in any order, considering the dependencies.

No, so only dependencies control execution order currently (and the executor).

I don’t see a problem. Why wouldn’t it work the same way as now as if --jobs is set to 1?

I'm getting confused. I thought if you want to avoid conflicts by applying multiple bears that have to work on a single file one by one. So that is a problem. Currently we already parallelize on a per-file basis (if possible), but bears emit results/patches independently from their results so they can be executed in parallel, even when working on a single file.

And about pip3: Yeah it did work for me (tested from a recent master commit)
Also works on the coala/base image (just tested)
hm, weird, I guess some encoding problems, probably tight to your default encoding? In that case we have to fix that so it works for all encodings^^
@DopamineGamer_twitter :point_up: :)