These are chat archives for codebar/tutorials

Jan 2015
Nick Jacobs
@njacobs5074
Jan 05 2015 15:49
Hi everybody. I've signed up as a new coach at codebar. I was working through the JS tutorials and I thought that the AJAX Part 2 would be a good place to introduce functions in JS as first class entities and some basic information hiding techniques using closures. Thoughts? Comments? Thanks.
Baris Balic
@barisbalic
Jan 05 2015 15:58
njacobs5074: I think rather than introduce them there they might be better suited to their own tutorial, then perhaps an AJAX part 2 revisited, with new technique applied.
njacobs5074: pretty big opinions seeing as I haven't done any work toward it :P
John
@artworkjpm
Jan 05 2015 17:06
Am I being silly here but when I try to download the files for the javascript tutorial here http://tutorials.codebar.io/js/lesson2/tutorial.html the download file is unreadable as its a strange compressed one, not a regular zip file?
Baris Balic
@barisbalic
Jan 05 2015 17:11
artworkjpm: are you using windows?
David Miller
@Orangetronic
Jan 05 2015 17:12
It's compressed with a utility called gzip. If you're on a windows system, you'll need an archive facility like Power Archiver or Winzip to extract it.
John
@artworkjpm
Jan 05 2015 17:30
oh I just downloaded a disgusting license heavy winzip to get these files... :S
Alex Pounds
@creature
Jan 05 2015 17:37
@njacobs5074: I agree with Baris. Students often find it really hard to get their heads around AJAX, so I'd expect first-class functions & closures to be a total brainmelt there. And you could definitely get an hour's tutorial out of them alone...
David Miller
@Orangetronic
Jan 05 2015 17:38
@artworkjpm :worried: I wonder if there's a better Windows way to deal with gzip… I know Winzip is pretty dire…
Alex Pounds
@creature
Jan 05 2015 17:40
We recommend 7-zip in the getting started guide, but I don't know if that's "adequate" or "actually good".
Nick Jacobs
@njacobs5074
Jan 05 2015 17:55
@creature @barisbalic I do see your respective points about having a "redux" with closures & functions and then the overloading concern. I'll hold onto this thought for now because obviously you want to introduce these more advanced concepts at the right juncture. Thanks for your feedback.
David Miller
@Orangetronic
Jan 05 2015 18:29
@creature, it's open source… so it'll be less bloatware-y than winzip :)
Jon Kelly
@jkbits1
Jan 05 2015 18:34
7-zip aways feels a bit unintuitive, but it works fine on Windows
It would be really nice to have a tutorial on closures to add to the other tutorials
Alex Pounds
@creature
Jan 05 2015 21:31
@njacobs5074: I think having a tutorial on it is a really good idea, though! If it's something you're interested in, I'd say have a crack at writing one and send a pull request. :)
And I'm sure we can pair you up with a student at Codebar so you can get some live feedback on it.
Nick Jacobs
@njacobs5074
Jan 05 2015 23:45
@creature: Challenge accepted. I'll give it a stab. :)