These are chat archives for codefellows/sea-c16-javascript

21st
Jul 2014
Hank Yates
@hankyates
Jul 21 2014 02:05
@MJGrant im not sure tbh. @ivanoats @toastynerd any ideas?
@mahenry926 if your pull request is open it should automatically update
Ivan Storck
@ivanoats
Jul 21 2014 04:35
@mahenry926 the surface lots on Mercer are $15/day+tax=18
some people park in lower queene anne and walk
sunny yuen
@yuens1002
Jul 21 2014 15:37
i'm not sure my assignments are being looked at or that i'm turning them in correctly. can we verify?
Jeff Adelman
@jeffadelman8
Jul 21 2014 16:36
@yuens1002 I don't think any of them were looked at over the weekend. We're back to it today so if you don't see comments before class starts, ask one of us.
@MJGrant If it were me I'd try to find free unrestricted street parking and walk. I know this exists east of I-5 over by University of Seattle, maybe also in Lower Queen Anne. Then you can walk, bike or take the bus from there. Parking in SLU is expensive.
Jeff Battema
@thewocky
Jul 21 2014 17:16
@hankyates @jeffadelman8 I second @yuens1002 's point/question. Apart from the most recent assignment, I haven't had any feedback on previous assignments. Even if we do it right and there isn't much to comment on, could we have some acknowledgement that it's been reviewed?
Hank Yates
@hankyates
Jul 21 2014 18:00
@thewocky they should be getting reviewed. thank you for bringing up your concern.
@thewocky you should be getting pr comments on all your assignments even if they are correct
ill take a look at your pr's and get back to you
Hank Yates
@hankyates
Jul 21 2014 19:34
just a heads up to everyone i updated the covered topics a little bit for tonight. have a look http://hankyates.github.io/F2-javascript-textbook/class_5/algo_ds.html
Michael Caprio
@Kinrr
Jul 21 2014 20:14
Anyone else have problems getting lodash to run inside of node?
var _ = require('lodash');
returns undefined so I'm unable to call any of my lodash functions.
Tyler Morgan
@toastynerd
Jul 21 2014 20:15
if you’re in the repl you can’t name lodash ‘_'
Michael Caprio
@Kinrr
Jul 21 2014 20:35
Copy - thought we needed to find a way to make it work with '_'. if it's OK to leave
var _test = require('lodash');
then I'm good to go.
Joe Elsey
@joeelsey
Jul 21 2014 20:56
So I wasn't entirely comfortable with lodash yet and I did the homework in vanilla js. I can redo it in lodash later if its an issue. I might just anyways when I get more knowledgeable?
Mandi Grant
@MJGrant
Jul 21 2014 21:13
@joeelsey What kind of trouble did you run into with lodash? Maybe some of us can try to help you through it. It's definitely worth getting the hang of.
Joe Elsey
@joeelsey
Jul 21 2014 21:57
My biggest issue right now, aside from learning the new syntax, is I don't understand how to test my code for node/underscore. I know we went over it in the last class, but I missed it while figuring out ho to install. I'm going to research a bit more before class tonight, but yeah I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Mandi Grant
@MJGrant
Jul 21 2014 22:02
If you've got node set up properly in the folder, try typing node yourfilenamehere.js in Terminal (or your equivalent) to actually run the file. What happens if you do that?
Livingston Martin
@LPM42
Jul 21 2014 22:04
After node is installed, you type in terminal:
node <filename.js>
it should return any console.log outputs and/or errors.
Michael Caprio
@Kinrr
Jul 21 2014 22:26
@joeelsey You can also run your code directly in terminal by typing 'node' - the prompt will change to >
Just ensure you've required/included the lodash library and are in your node_modules dir
Hank Yates
@hankyates
Jul 21 2014 22:40
@Kinrr might need to npm install lodash in the directory
@joeelsey vanilla is fine. lodash just makes it easier
Ivan Storck
@ivanoats
Jul 21 2014 22:50
@SwampGuzzler you’re all set on the repo
Hank Yates
@hankyates
Jul 21 2014 22:51
thanks @ivanoats
Joe Elsey
@joeelsey
Jul 21 2014 23:45
@MJGrant So that worked. Thanks! But I'm copy pasting code examples from http://underscorejs.org/#find into my test file and the _. is coming up undefined.
var stooges = [{name: 'moe', age: 40}, {name: 'larry', age: 50}, {name: 'curly', age: 60}];
_.pluck(stooges, 'name');