These are chat archives for collectiveaccess/support

21st
Jul 2017
gjerdery
@gjerdery
Jul 21 2017 18:49
@kaiall We had the same issue with our installation after updating to 1.7. I found a post on the support forum that suggested clearing out cached files in /pawtucket/app/tmp/. I initially did this manually, and the issue was resolved. Since then, I've set up a nightly cron to empty that directory, but I believe other tools like redis and memcached are supported.
kaiall
@kaiall
Jul 21 2017 20:11
@gjerdery Yeah, I had a cron job doing that. It seems that since the upgrade it wasn't actually doing it. I've wiped it manually and set up a new cron job. Thanks!
CollectiveAccess
@collectiveaccess
Jul 21 2017 21:05
Using redis will avoid all the /tmp directory headaches, FWIW