These are chat archives for dry-rb/chat

1st
Jan 2017
Lonnie VanZandt
@lonniev
Jan 01 2017 22:45
Happy New Year all. After a few days away, I am returning to look at dry-web. I came across the dry-web-skelton raygun template. This seems to be a good way to "terraform" an empty directory into a new project planet ready for app colonization. While I begin to grok the piece parts of the dry-rb ecosystem, I'm still wary to start just adding files here and there while not sure of the expected conventions. Is there a dry-web-roda generate entity MY_NEW_ENTITY generation script that helps one seed a new entity into the terraformed directories? For example, if I have just raygunned out a new dry-web-roda app from the skeleton, what's the next step to, say, add a route and view for a first-pass-do-nothing entity of "Tweets"? (This is likely all very evident for someone very familiar with the whole stack, conventions, and traditions but isn't evident to a newcomer or, at least, to me.)
Fran Worley
@fran-worley
Jan 01 2017 22:52
@lonniev I've been switched off over Christmas and new year, returning this week!! I've got a couple of demo apps that use trailblazer 1.0 and dry-validation. Reform/Rom integration is a work in progress at the moment. You should check out the trailblazer channel and see if anyone has any working Rom examples. Also if your only just starting out definitely checkout trailblazer 2.0. It's awesome as is its creator @apotonick :heart_eyes_cat:
Lonnie VanZandt
@lonniev
Jan 01 2017 23:06
@fran-worley My angst is that I have to compare and contrast all the competing frameworks to try to spot what I gain or lose by working with one versus the other. I like the dry-web-roda, dry-system, dry-transaction, and rom-rb piece parts. Do I lose one or more of these if I choose TRB to get some convention? Or are we talking about supersets here where TRB is everything I find in dry-web-skeleton plus the crutch of convention that I seek? Am I afraid to adopt the very thing I seek?
Fran Worley
@fran-worley
Jan 01 2017 23:09
Trailblazer isn't a framework in itself so you should be able to adopt what you please. The caveats being that currently we don't officially support ROM and you might find that dry transaction and trailblazers operations are so similar that you choose one or the other.
Lonnie VanZandt
@lonniev
Jan 01 2017 23:17
Often, the best way is to just try something. TRB has a nice set of documentation and even an ebook. Is there a just-do-it raygun template or gem or thor generator that populates an empty directory with all of TRB2 and its starter app? I want the live local code so that I can simply surf that code rather than working through the hard reading and mental assimilation process.