These are chat archives for dry-rb/chat

30th
Jan 2018
Spencer Goh
@dymaxionuk
Jan 30 2018 10:48
question on Dry::System::Settings::Configuration the Dry::Struct constructor_type is hardcoded to :strict_with_defaults I'm registering a component with passed in config, however for any missing values, I want the underlying concrete implementation class to decide the actual defaults. However settings { } doens't allow missing keys
Piotr Solnica
@solnic
Jan 30 2018 10:54
@dymaxionuk this will be addressed in next dry-system version
Spencer Goh
@dymaxionuk
Jan 30 2018 10:54
Dry::System.register_component(  blah ) do
  settings do 
    key :my_param, Types::String.optional
  end

start do
    register :my_component,  ComponentImpl.new(config.to_h)
  end
end

I'd like ComponentImpl to set master/failsafe defaults

@my_param = config[:my_param] ||   "Some default value"

I that logic doesn't really belong in Dry::System component registration.

aah ok thanks @solnic :smile:

also dry-web-roda I'm not a big fan of fact that it creates such a deep nested namespace for subapps.
apps/subapp/system/masterapp/subapp/my_class.rb

I want my subapps to be easily exportable, and pulled out later, so starting with monolith first, then pulling out apps into micro-services later.
problem is the namespace of the subapps is polluted with the master app that it currently lives in.

I noticed in berg-master subapps you don't nest the subapp inside the berg namespace.

is there any plan to make some configurable namespace option to the thor generator code?
Spencer Goh
@dymaxionuk
Jan 30 2018 11:02
btw, just wanted to say I really like your dry-rb gems in general. I met Tim Riley at RedDotRubyConf 2016 and have since tried out your gems and like where they are going. Thanks !
Piotr Solnica
@solnic
Jan 30 2018 11:03
@dymaxionuk we'll be making namespacing more flexible in dry-system 1.1
also, I don't recall using umbrella app namespace in sub-apps, we don't do it
Spencer Goh
@dymaxionuk
Jan 30 2018 11:12
I just checked.. the umbrella is mandatory, and the web example puts the master umbrella app into the namespace of subapp. however just realised if I give it value '' empty string.. it ollapses out the umbrella from the namespace
but can't just omit the umbrella param as command line validation kicks out the code gen :smile:
Piotr Solnica
@solnic
Jan 30 2018 11:16
this surprises me
I consider referring to any umbrella constants from within a sub-app to be a code smell
the whole idea with subapps is that you can always a) move a subapp to a separate project b) turn lib into a shared gem c) have it work standalone OOTB
also, thanks for your kind words
Spencer Goh
@dymaxionuk
Jan 30 2018 11:21
also have you ever got rack-unreloader working with dry-web-roda ? I got as far as patching reloader.rb#commit() method which blew up on log statement, but still couldn't get it working . didn't give much time to it yet, but just wondering if you had any reloader working?
I'm constrained by Windows at work, unfortunately, so can't use shotgun or other solutions :worried:

Re: subapp generation

dymaxion-mpb:dev tiger$ dry-web-roda generate sub_app test_subapp --umbrella test
      create  apps/test_subapp/lib/test/test_subapp/view/context.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/lib/test/test_subapp/view/controller.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/lib/test/test_subapp/views/welcome.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/system/test/test_subapp/web.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/system/test/test_subapp/container.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/system/test/test_subapp/import.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/system/boot.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/web/routes/example.rb
      create  apps/test_subapp/web/templates/layouts/application.html.slim
      create  apps/test_subapp/web/templates/welcome.html.slim

if umbrella was optional that would be fine, as by default the subapp wouldn't be nested under [Test]

Spencer Goh
@dymaxionuk
Jan 30 2018 11:30
actually the --umbrella '' hack doesn't work ! it messed up the codegen , with blank module names :)
anyway I'll await the next dry-system update with eager anticipation!
thanks
Andy Holland
@AMHOL
Jan 30 2018 14:13
@dymaxionuk the idea with that is that everything is name-spaced under your organisation name, to prevent clashes, for example if you have a sub-app called Reporting it would define that as a top-level constant, I don't think that's a good practice personally, but I guess having the flexibility to do so isn't bad either