These are chat archives for dry-rb/chat

4th
Jan 2019
Trey Pendragon
@tpendragon
Jan 04 20:37
Hey all. I was wondering if there's a plan for a 1.0 release of the dry ecosystem?
Our community has started using it, and we've had a system in production using it instead of ActiveRecord and the like for the last year, but it'd be nice to be able to rely on semver.
Nikita Shilnikov
@flash-gordon
Jan 04 20:38
@tpendragon is it that important? :) A few things to keep in mind
the API is pretty stable already and we try to make all the changes in a backwards compatible manner
Trey Pendragon
@tpendragon
Jan 04 20:39
I agree, you've done a great job. Is it a problem to just cut what exists as 1.0.0 and keep on doing that?
Nikita Shilnikov
@flash-gordon
Jan 04 20:40
second, we coordinate our releases with hanami's ones, that means if for any reason we'll need breaking changes (unlikely) this will give us some freedom. Still, we follow semver so this shouldn't be a problem
but we do have checklists for 1.0s
Trey Pendragon
@tpendragon
Jan 04 20:42
Working for Universities, we tend to put a lot of stock in specifications, so I just know it would make a number of my colleagues more comfortable were things like dry-types and dry-struct to have the commitment behind them that comes with 1.0. Otherwise, while you've done a great job, technically you're outside the realm of responsibility yeah?
If you're not comfortable with it I understand, I know it's a daunting thing. Do you have a link to the checklist of requirements somewhere? Maybe I can help.
Nikita Shilnikov
@flash-gordon
Jan 04 20:47
as I said, it's a matter of coordination, otherwise I'd push 1.0 and call it a day :) I don't think there's a big issue with how you number your gems as long as you follow semver. What I can say, it's dry-types is expected to be the next 1.0 release since it's mature and stable. But we do have plans to introduce some (non-breaking I hope) changes before that.
Trey Pendragon
@tpendragon
Jan 04 20:48
Okay. :) I'll keep an eye on it. We're about to release some code that depends on 0.13 of dry-types, so I look forward to seeing what's coming up.
Thanks!