These are chat archives for elemental/chat

29th
Oct 2016
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 00:49
@CsatiZoltan if you just want to use El on Fedora then you don't need to build it, you can install an RPM: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rhl/elemental/
every time there is a push to master that repo rebuilds and then you can capture the updates with 'yum update'
Jack Poulson
@poulson
Oct 29 2016 02:26
@CsatiZoltan To answer your question about 'sudo': CMake's ExternalProject_Add command, which Elemental uses for building external CMake projects such as OpenBLAS, chooses to install said external projects during the make phase
Thus, default global installation paths cause the make phase to require sudo to install the dependency projects
Jack Poulson
@poulson
Oct 29 2016 04:41
For what it's worth, my DistHessSchur branch locally supports distributed multi bulge and Aggressive Early Deflation Hessenberg Schur decompositions now
I hope to commit and merge in a few minutes; several bugs in DistMatrix<T,U,V,BLOCK> have been fixed due to this being the first functionality to really exercise it
Thanks to Meiyue Shao for answering questions on some of the non-determinism issues
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 08:49
@rhl- Thanks, good to know about it. Does it enable the Qt5 interface for C++ visualization?
@poulson So I should rather edit the file you linked (cmake/external_projects/ElMath/OpenBLAS.cmake)?
Jack Poulson
@poulson
Oct 29 2016 14:03
@CsatiZoltan No, you should not need to edit any files and should only need to add extra commands to your cmake invocation (e.g., cmake -D GFORTRAN_LIB=/path/to/libgfortran.so)
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 19:52
@CsatiZoltan the spec file is in the repo. If it's not feel free to edit it so that it works..
@CsatiZoltan we can now drop scalapack dependency in there too
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 20:38
@rhl- Hmm... I might be blind, but I am not sure where to look for the spec file. I managed to locate the latest successful build here. And it is written here : "Path to .spec file: package/elemental.spec", but still cannot locate.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 20:39
I didnt notice the builds failing. Hm.
That file is in that location in the github repo
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 20:44
@rhl- Thanks, I found now.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 20:45
The last build just passed
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 20:50
@rhl- Is it possible to create a version which contains everything (ScaLAPACK, openmpi/mpich, openBLAS, python interface, etc)? Or the file size would be too large?
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 20:51
What do you mean? That's not how RPMs work
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 20:52
@rhl- Sorry if I misunderstood, I am new to Fedora (and Linux too).
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 20:53
No problem
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 20:54
I thought of something like Arrayfire, where almost everything needed for the library is put into the installer.
@rhl- @poulson Anyway, I will try what you help me both of you on Monday.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 20:56
so the way an RPM works is it packages up software, and any other dependencies like MPI/BLAS whatever is packaged separately and there is a dependency relation declared
arrayfire does things the same way
in our case we have two separate elemental builds, one with OpenMPI and the other with MPICH
they both can be installed simulatenously.
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 21:02
So e.g. the openmpi build requires openmpi-devel and scalapack-openmpi-devel ?
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 21:02
yeah, im issuing a PR right now to drop scalapak altogether.
@poulson just merged equivalent functionality into Elemental, so its not really needed anymore.
i can look at enabling Qt
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 21:06
To sum up, if I want to use the Python interface too, I should install elemental-python too, not just elemental-openmpi?
i can look at enabling Qt
That would be nice.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 21:06
yeah, i forgot at the moment but I believe. dnf install elementall will just install all the packages
ive never built Elemental with Qt support, does it need the stuff in: qt5-qtbase ?
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 21:09
When I wanted to build it from source, it needed Qt5Core, Qt5Widget and another Qt... what I don't remember.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 21:12
it should be very easy to enable Qt5
hang on
Zoltán Csáti
@CsatiZoltan
Oct 29 2016 21:13
@rhl- Thank you for your explanations. Good night!
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 21:13
Alright. no problem.
@CsatiZoltan i've enabled Qt5 and removed scalapack from the RPM. we will see if Copr builds it.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 21:54
@poulson: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/i386/python-elemental/1.2.0-2ubuntu2 <-- can't make an Elemental team with Ubuntu as its taken.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Oct 29 2016 23:04
@CsatiZoltan the latest build supports Qt5 https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/rhl/elemental/build/471087/