@poulson
Dec 06 2016 01:31
it is elemental-mpich-python2
my apologies, the source package is named 'elemental'
I'm updating the documentation now
tom442
@tom442
Dec 06 2016 13:33
Thank you for replying (and by the way thank you for this great library)
(Initially because I needed to compile some old code urgently (which worked like a charm on a version I had compiled on some old windows distro), I thought "great there's a ppa let's use that !")
"elemental-mpich-python2" installs without error messages, however my old code ran into trouble confirmed by test examples.
Therefore I built it from source (after apt-get remove "elemental-mpich-python2" !) also because I wasn't sure that the ppa would make the link with libflame correctly.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Dec 06 2016 15:47
The ppa is of more or less the most recent release which is more or less master
tom442
@tom442
Dec 06 2016 15:52
I got segmentation faults when I compile code after installing Elemental with the ppa, which I don't get when I build it from source.
Jack Poulson
@poulson
Dec 06 2016 16:02
libflame isn't needed for fast SVD anymore due to the recent Divide and Conquer SVD implementations
do you have an example driver that you can share that causes a segfault?
tom442
@tom442
Dec 06 2016 17:48
Thanks for the information ! Just the simple:
#include <El.hpp>\n int main(){El::Initialize();El::Finalize(); return 0;}
caused a segfault! Also I remember I needed to include the path to "mpi.h" in the makefile which I don't need with the built from source version. So there was definitely some linkage problem for me. Sorry if I didn't track the bug more cautiously: I really have some urgent work to do and as the build version works well, I don't have the time to uninstall and retry the ppa now !
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Dec 06 2016 17:54
use ` without spaces before and after code to format it :)
err.. three backticks
can you please show me how you compile
you can put it into something like fpaste.org if its long
tom442
@tom442
Dec 06 2016 18:00
thank you. Here's the Makefile I used (don't remember if the location of "ElVars" was the same with the ppa but I had checked manually !):
include /usr/local/conf/ElVars TEST : test.cpp g++ ${EL_COMPILE_FLAGS} -std=gnu++11 -Wfatal-errors $< -o $@ ${EL_LINK_FLAGS} ${EL_LIBS}
PS: don't know how to format with tabs and correct indentation
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Dec 06 2016 18:01
hmm
:P
hang on sorry.
so does /usr/local/conf/ElVars exist ?
and whats in it?
tom442
@tom442
Dec 06 2016 18:08
Different flags needed by the compiler.
NB: with the ppa (as I did not change default installation directory) it was in /usr/conf, but I had changed that in the makefile if I remember correctly.
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Dec 06 2016 18:10
I have a feeling like this is your problem. I just can’t see exactly what you are doing
it is possible that the default sample makefile the PPA is installing is wrong.
at least with CMake generated makefiles, you can add VERBOSE=1 to the line to see exactly what commands it is using.
I don’t have a debian machine in front of me so I can’t reproduce your experiment too easily..
tom442
@tom442
Dec 06 2016 18:26
Now Elemental works fine from the build, so I don't need to use the ppa anyway. If nobody else complains I guess it's better to ignore my problem.
Note that this same makefile works (adapting the location of ElVars) with the build version. If I have time to retest the ppa I will certainly let you know!
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Dec 06 2016 18:30
I'd much prefer to solve your ppa issue
But glad your up and running
Ryan H. Lewis
@rhl-
Dec 06 2016 22:36
Elemental RPMs will become available in fedora over the next few days
However it won't be the latest RC
We can push an update for it later